RJ Spagnols Just ordered a second Super Tuscan!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v1rotate

Reaction score
SWMMBO is going to kill me when she finds out I just ordered another Super Tuscan!!! I just ordered one yesterday. I
figure I'll make 2 at once and give them a ride in a Vadai 11G barrel
which I plan to buy soon. I already have 2 WE LE Brunellos waiting to be
made and I'll be getting 12G of freshly pressed Syrah from a buddy in
the Lodi area in late October.

I plan to make either the Super Tuscan or the Brunello and let it clear first, then ferment the other in the new
barrel. When the newly fermented batch comes out of the barrel the cleared batch will go in for a month or so. By then it will be fairly oaky, so I'll take it out and put the first wine back in for 3 months or so followed by the Syrah for a year. Any
suggestions on which to ferment in the new barrel?

Hehehehehehe.........

I just snagged a CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo for myself! I can't wait to get my Nero D'Avola into secondary and start this one.

A see a couple of 6 gallon Vadai barrels in my near future!
smiley31.gif

6 gallon barrels would be handy, of course. I considered that approach, but I'm leaning towards the 11 gallon size which will fit a double batch with some left over for topping. That way, after 6 months to a year in the barrel I will be rewarded with 60ish bottles of nicely barrel-aged wine.

My winery owning buddy thinks I am crazy for considering anything smaller than 225L. Different strokes.

He's not doing this in his basement!!!!!!!!!! I will be looking into some barrels next. Not sure of what size Im going to get yet but it will be one of those 2 sizes mentioned above. probably the 6 gallon as they will fit my area better.

I went with the 5.3 gallon. That way I have some to top up with as "angel share" happens. (on a 6 gallon batch)

I also have a 2.7 gallon for my Ports. (also to top up on 3 gallon batches)

Latest posts

Back