Just need a couple of tips.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am just wondering what I can do with this Cabernet Sauvignon. It has a slightly thin mouthfeel and no legs despite the fact that it is sitting solid at ten percent. I have heard that I could add glycerine but that doesn't sound like the best possibility that could be available.

Let us know what you have. If it's a kit, which one. Oak helps with mouthfeel. What have you done regarding oak?

Last edited:
Is it a kit (what kit?)?
A juice bucket (who made it?)?
Or fresh grapes (from where?)?

Just wonder why its thin in the first place, sounds like option 1 or 2

I would think some oak, or a "cellaring" tannin would help increase the structure

It is a concentrate. Alexander's Sun Country. I haven't added any oak but I have added grape tannins and acids in the form of fresh lemon juice and some acid blend. It is only very slightly thin. I think I need to degas, as I am noticing some bubbles in it still. Only a few though. This is my first intentional batch of wine so I am still figuring this out.

Paradoxnightmare said:
It is a concentrate. Alexander's Sun Country. I haven't added any oak but I have added grape tannins and acids in the form of fresh lemon juice and some acid blend. It is only very slightly thin. I think I need to degas, as I am noticing some bubbles in it still. Only a few though. This is my first intentional batch of wine so I am still figuring this out.

The last red wine concentrate I did, I added a gallon less water, came out much fuller than my previous batches.

Legs is indication of alcahol. Ten percent is kind of low si I would not expect much legs. Also don't be scared of 4 ounces of glycerin per six gallons of wine. I use it often with no bad effect.

I have seen plenty of wines that were around ten with great legs though. Is this most likely from application of glycerine?

I was taught that you can look at legs two ways....with a dry wine the more noticeable legs the higher the alcohol content and with semi-sweet/sweet wines you may notice legs as an indicator of sweetness instead of ACV. In all the tastings I do I still look at legs that way and it works. Of course when you come across that sweet boozy wine it should have legs out the wazoo.

Another option to consider is gum arabic. I have only tried it once and it was not pleasing, but I learned that I did not dissolve it properly and I also think that I used too much. Based on the article that I read, gum arabic should help with the mouth-feel, but it seems like it should also help with the legs since it will add a bit of viscousness.

Another option to consider is gum arabic. I have only tried it once and it was not pleasing, but I learned that I did not dissolve it properly and I also think that I used too much. Based on the article that I read, gum arabic should help with the mouth-feel, but it seems like it should also help with the legs since it will add a bit of viscousness.

Gum arabic will also make oils soluble in wine. Not quite sure what amount to use for that purpose though.

Latest posts

Back