Just got my juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whynot

Wine & Scotch
Reaction score
Stopped by my LBS to order juice, but they had it in stock already :) fresh from CA.. so I grabbed 6Gal of Cab.. Was planning on re-reading my winemaking books, but looks like I'm on an accelerated plan as there is a bucket in my kitchen as I write this.... so some quick questions..

1. Benotnitie first? to kill wild yeast?
2. sulfite it?
3. I'll do all the measurements (PH, TA, SG).. hopefully won't have to adjust anything.. then pitch my yeast.. .

planning on MLF also.. can't remember if I have to do anything now, or just after primary ferm?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't think you need the bentonite if you plan on aging. The Juice buckets I've bought have k-meta already so once you check and/or adjust your levels I'd go straight to yeast.
Mike

Thanks, yeah this will go into my barrel (hopefully, if I timed it right with the Merlot already in there :) ) ..

I thought the bentonite was to kill off any wild yeast that may be there, or is that what the sulfite does?

Thanks, yeah this will go into my barrel (hopefully, if I timed it right with the Merlot already in there :) ) ..

I thought the bentonite was to kill off any wild yeast that may be there, or is that what the sulfite does?

Sulfites kill wild yeasts and steralize.

Bentonite helps clearing.
However if you plan on bulk aging, father time can take the place of Bentonite.

(I skip the step and dont even add them in kits any longer)

Sulfites kill wild yeasts and steralize.

Bentonite helps clearing.
However if you plan on bulk aging, father time can take the place of Bentonite.

(I skip the step and dont even add them in kits any longer)

Got it!.. been reading up.. looks like:
1. Suflite today, test PH, TA, SG
2. Adjust TA (if necessary)
3. pitch yeast after ~24 hours..
4. after ferm, rack, and pitch MLF

I'm reading about headspace? up until now (kits) the carboy being filled near the top has never been an issue, do I need to do that in this case with the fresh juice? obviously in the barrel yes, but after fermentation in Carboys?

Got it!.. been reading up.. looks like:
1. Suflite today, test PH, TA, SG
2. Adjust TA (if necessary)
3. pitch yeast after ~24 hours..
4. after ferm, rack, and pitch MLF

I'm reading about headspace? up until now (kits) the carboy being filled near the top has never been an issue, do I need to do that in this case with the fresh juice? obviously in the barrel yes, but after fermentation in Carboys?

Are you doing your primary in the bucket the juice came in, or a carboy?

Unless you're using a big foaming yeast, like BM4X4, you should be fine in the bucket. Doing secondary in the carboy is fine if you're not completely topped up, but you should be under airlock. Once fermentation is complete, you need to be in a carboy, topped up.

Are you doing your primary in the bucket the juice came in, or a carboy?

Unless you're using a big foaming yeast, like BM4X4, you should be fine in the bucket. Doing secondary in the carboy is fine if you're not completely topped up, but you should be under airlock. Once fermentation is complete, you need to be in a carboy, topped up.

I put it in my primary yesterday after sulfiting it.. will do primary there.. but yeah after racking into a carboy, that's what I was wondering about.. with the kits they tell you not to top off the carboys.. so sounds like the pure juice is "more sensitive".. ugh...

No need to top up until fermentation is complete, IMHO. It is extra insurance, but not necessary. In secondary, fermentation is still going on and producing CO2, which is protecting the wine.

Latest posts

Back