Juice buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForzaItalia

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just got a couple buckets of Amarone and Barolo but unfortunately won't get the yeast and nutrients until the end of next week. The buckets are already fizzing like crazy...should I add some meta and keep cool until I am ready to inoculate the yeast? If so how much meta per gallon?

Thanks!

Ilario

ForzaItalia said:
Hi All, I just got a couple buckets of Amarone and Barolo but unfortunately won't get the yeast and nutrients until the end of next week. The buckets are already fizzing like crazy...should I add some meta and keep cool until I am ready to inoculate the yeast? If so how much meta per gallon? Thanks! Ilario

Check with your supplier, they may have been pre-inoculated.

At this point, let the fermentation finish out.

The supplier said they did not have yeast pre inoculated. I am going to open them and take a hydrometer reading to see how along they are.

The juice buckets I have done in the past were pre-inoculated with yeast. That seems to be a common practice. You can introduce your own yeast along with the yeast already present. If you were to chill it that would stop the fermentation. I see you are in Ohio. I dont see why you couldnt put the pail outside. When you are ready to pitch your own yeast just bring it in side the day prior and let it come up to room temp.

RR

Last edited:
Thanks RR. I am in Connecticut and it's in the mid 30s now. So you don't think I should add any meta in the meanwhile?

Thanks RR. I am in Connecticut and it's in the mid 30s now. So you don't think I should add any meta in the meanwhile?

Where did you get the buckets, what supplier?
I buy mine from Calli in Waterbury and they are always pre-innoculated. Always,

I assume these are Italian wines which have been out quite a while now. Did the pail say pre-inoculated? Either way it has taken off so I say "let 'er rip". Take a hydrometer reading and add some Fermaid to it before it's too far along to assist yeast and avoid a stuck fermentation.

I assume these are Italian wines which have been out quite a while now. Did the pail say pre-inoculated? Either way it has taken off so I say "let 'er rip". Take a hydrometer reading and add some Fermaid to it before it's too far along to assist yeast and avoid a stuck fermentation.

Dan,I think he said he was waiting for yeast and nutrients until the end of next week. That is why I suggested cooling off the must till then

RR.

Hi All,

I just got a couple buckets of Amarone and Barolo but unfortunately won't get the yeast and nutrients until the end of next week. The buckets are already fizzing like crazy...should I add some meta and keep cool until I am ready to inoculate the yeast? If so how much meta per gallon?

Thanks!

Ilario

By the end of next week they will be finished! Forget the k meta and the yeast, there is no stopping it now.

I just got a pail from M&M last week of Pinot Noir... I let the pail sit for two days on its own... The second day it had reached room temp for most of the day... I never seen a single bubble.... I called them and the girl I talked to said they do not add anything... ( If she really knows). I made adjustments to both TA and SG and set it off on it's path with RC-212 and nutrients.... Like you say... You just don't know for sure..... Last year I did a bucket of Syrah from a local vendor. I put it in a carboy and air lock and let it go on its own.... A year later the SG is barely reached 1.00..... I am not a fan of on it's own version but understand many do it with great success.

Thanks for all the advice. I tested this morning and the Barolo is at 1.090 and the Amarone is at 1.068. The amarone you can really see is fermenting with thousands of bubbles rising to the top of the bucket. Tomorrow i will go to m&m and get some bm4x4 yeast/nutrients and a grape pack for them. Thanks again and happy thanksgiving!

Latest posts

Back