I've been using my refractometer wrong!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzibear

Reaction score
I probably shouldn't admit this, but it's a huge development in my wine making experience. I thought I was being diligent about looking stuff up; I have wine making books that I've been reading and I've been looking stuff up online....but I missed something big. I could do a shorter version of this story, but I have a tendency to be long winded.

Up until when my brother gave me a refractometer for Christmas, I was using a hydrometer to test sugar. The refractometer is great! You don't need to use a big test sample to test the sugar, just a few drops. I basically stopped using the hydrometer. As time progressed, I found that all of my wines were getting stuck fermentations between 1.025 and 1.030 sg. It was frustrating, I re-pitched the yeast, added yeast nutrient, nothing worked. Finally this summer it was time to start freeing up some carboys. I decided the wines were sitting around 8% or 9% abv, which was ok I guess...ok for white table wines anyway. They tasted dry to me, but I was reading that 1.030 was like a desert wine. I figured the higher acid was causing me to think it was dry and maybe my sense of taste was off....maybe I am really just a sweet wine drinker. All of my "sweet" wine tasted good anyway, so I decided to add sorbate and sulfate to make sure the fermentation wouldn't start up again, then I bought a Buon Vino Superjet filter and filtered everything for good measure. Still, I was worried about the wine spoiling since the alcohol levels were so low. I just wouldn't be able to age them long.

I have a whole bunch more wines started this year which also appeared to be fermenting slowly, but there is time yet, so I wasn't too worried. Yesterday a very kind Wine Making Talk member shared a link for Morewine's Guide to Red Wine Making. I was reading along and I got to a point that said "you may have heard that you cannot use a refractometer after the onset of fermentation because the presence of alcohol distorts the reading" then it goes on to say that they have a spreadsheet to use to convert it to the correct reading. I don't have Excel at home, so I just took my hydrometer, dropped it in my bucket of red wine must and the SG is below 0 (it was hard to get an exact number the way I did it with grape skins in the way). I'll get an exact number when I have more time.

Anyway...this is an exciting development. I was already starting to label my previous season's wines putting 8% or 9% abv on the labels, depending on what it worked out to be. It's kind of exciting to know that those fermentations weren't really stuck. I feel kind of gullible, believing what I thought the refractometer was showing over my own taste-buds. It's kind of embarrassing, but also exciting to know everything is working as it should.

Last edited:
There is always something to learn in this hobby, isn't there? ;)

Glad you got it figured out. I'll be picking up a refractometer in the upcoming "off-season". I'm getting frustrated by trying to measure SG in the must at the start, with all the solids in there. I think I'm getting high readings that aren't quite accurate.

LOL---well, it's not your fault!!! This fact is something you don't realize unless someone tells you. I don't know why the instructions in the refractometer don't tell you about this!! Until it gets on your radar screen, you won't even think about it!!

Your tale of woe is a good reminder to all new winemakers using a refractometer.

Yes. I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this and I'm probably not the last. Someone thinking they have a stuck fermentation may end up seeing this and benefit from it.

Wow that must have been quite frustrating thinking you had been screwing up your wine this whole time... Then you figured out you were just using the tool the wrong way. I am sure that was quite a relief. Glad you got it figured out!

Wow that must have been quite frustrating thinking you had been screwing up your wine this whole time... Then you figured out you were just using the tool the wrong way. I am sure that was quite a relief. Glad you got it figured out!

Huge relief! I was starting to wonder if there could possibly be something in the air in my basement that could cause stuck fermentation, although I sort of thought that was a crazy idea at the same time.

Nice post. It is great when folks find out something and put it on here so it can possibly help the next guy having the problem. I can pretty well guarantee you are not the only one that has had this happen to them. Arne.

Back