is wine acidic?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcaret

Reaction score
I made wine out of lots a things since I joined this site a year or two ago. Mostly it bothers my stomach ,but it always has since I first drank it. 40 years ago. I heard pineapples were the only fruit not acidic, I made some pineapple wine a year ago but forgot how it felt. Anyone got any ideas about this acid thing ?
N

Any wine you make or buy is acidic.

If you make a wine without acid you will run into problems. The problem is that yeast need an acid environment to work properly. If there is no acid present or a too low acidity the wine will get a medicin taste. Really awfull. I experienced it once.

There are wines however in which you do not taste the acid. Then you have a wine that is perfectly in Balance. However there will be acid present. Just measure the acidity with a test kit and you will see it is there.

Luc

BTW, pineapple is a very acidic fruit. Generally, red wines are less acidic than whites, and fruit wines are for the most part closer to whites than reds. Whites tend to hurt my stomach a little, but most reds do not. There are exceptions of course.

You can tailor your wines to be less acidic, but all wines are acidic on the pH scale, as Luc said. However, if you check the acid in your wines and push them slightly towards the red wine end then you may enjoy them more. My acid test kit says Total Acid (TA) for reds is in the range of 0.60-0.65% (that's from memory, so maybe 0.60-0.70). Of course that's a rule of thumb, each wine is different. People tend to like a little more acidity in whites.

Yup,

There is a lot of acid in wine and in pineapple.

I would simply have a couple of tums before going to bed if the wine bothers you.

Pineapple not acidic? After I eat a bowl of pineapple I can feel the effects of the acid in my mouth.

I had surgery a few months ago which cured my chronic acid reflux. I'm grateful I had it done because now I can eat acidic foods like tomato sauce (marinara always tore me up) and spicy foods without having to take half a dozen antacids before bed.

Pineapple not acidic? After I eat a bowl of pineapple I can feel the effects of the acid in my mouth.

I had surgery a few months ago which cured my chronic acid reflux. I'm grateful I had it done because now I can eat acidic foods like tomato sauce (marinara always tore me up) and spicy foods without having to take half a dozen antacids before bed.

Just south of the Yucatan Peninsula, they grow some mighty fine pineapple. It is much less acidic than most pineapple grown elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back