Is this the right yeast for Montepulciano?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satxwineguy

Junior
Reaction score
I'm about to start my second wine, Montepulciano from a Winexpert Selection kit. I didn't really want to do another kit, I want to graduate to freestyling, but I haven't been able to source grapes or find concentrates in quantity. Anyway, that's a different subject. I'm rambling. Ooh, look, squirrel!

Anyway, here's the thing. The kit came with a packet of Lalvin yeast, EC-1118. Below that "model number", it has two lines: "Saccharomyces cerevisiae", and then it says "Sparkling wines". Here's the exact packet on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lalvin-EC-1118-Yeast-Lallemand-Inc/dp/B002LQBSIO. Part of the Amazon description also says it's good for sparkling wines.

I've not heard of a sparkling Montepulciano, and nothing on or in the box suggests it should be a sparkling wine. I don't want it to sparkle. I want it to amaze and inebriate.

Is this the wrong yeast to use for this wine?

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta say I'm impressed that you read and did homework, then asked a question!

1118 is the go to yeast for kits because it is the hardest working yeast around, not fussy about food conditions or anything. That makes it foolproof for the beginner. However 1118 does not actually add anything to the wine. After you have done a few more kits or whatever you will prob do more research on yeasts and learn what each yeast will bring to the table for each wine you make.

Basically, the yeast will work very well. No, it won't be sparkling. Degassing (or preferably bulk aging in the carboy) will take care of that.

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back