Is this a normal ferment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneStarLori

Veteran wino, newbie vintner
Reaction score
I started a Reserve Du Chateau Italian Orvieto that I bought from Amazon on Saturday. It came with EC118, but I wanted to try Montrachet. 2 days later I have a crazy ferment. I have never seen this before.
One thing I should mention, the kit did not come with Kmeta and I didn't use any. I also added about 2lbs of sugar to get the SG up to 1.10.
Should I put some kmeta in? And is this normal for that yeast?
Thanks, Lori

RESferment_a.jpg

Looks like a healthy fermentation to me. Dont add kmeta, just let the ferment do its thing, and check the sg every once n a while to see its progress.

Thanks Poni. I just checked it and it is 1.05.5 Must be some pretty healthy yeast.

I have used Montrachet a few times and it always ferments good, the only problem I have had with it is the SO2, rotten egg smell sometimes.

Make sure you keep plenty of nutrient in there. Don't let the Montrechet stress or you will be posting "I have this rotten smell coming off my ferment." It is good yeast but stress it and it makes some funny smells. Arne.

I used about a pound of white sugar and a pound of a new one called Demerara from Florida crystals. It's a darkish raw sugar.

Arne, when will I know when I should add nutrient?

Yep and that's why your yeast are happy, happy, happy! :D

If you rack while active, I'd add k meta at 1/8 tsp when I rack it over to secondary. If you rack at 1.000 or lower, I'd add 1/4 tsp at that time. The k meta will help protect it from oxidation when the CO2 layer diminishes.

BTW, thanks for the pic! I can about smell that through my monitor!

it is a typical Montrachet ferment. Dont fret you are looking good, dont add kmeta (campden just yet, let the ferment keep going...and watch out for h2s (rotten egg smell), montrachet doesnt take to stress very well...keep temp the same and add some nutrient like on day 3 are so.

I usually go by what the bottle says, split it in half. Put the first half in up front, the second half at about 1.050 or so. Arne

Latest posts

Back