Is there such a thing as too large a primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The large vessels are really helpful for fruit wine makers even for the 6gal batches because you need so much fruit to make the wine, it takes up way more space than just 6gals of juice from buckets or kit wines. I have so many 6gal fermenters and I rarely use them, I'll use them if I get a kit or straight juice buckets and I use them when doing smaller batches of fruit wine like 1 or 3 gals plus the fruit.

Great link climbaliw. I had recently discovered that Home Depot has raised the price of the Brute 20 gallon to be in line with what others are selling them for. Also raised the price on the 10 gallon. By following your link to prior discussion then the link there that FrankieIce provided I found that Amazon has the 10 gallons available at a great price right now. By buying 2 and 2 lids, and throwing in another hard to find item I needed to order anyway I got free shipping. White cans are $13.02, red and yellow even a couple bucks cheaper. I did doublecheck the food grade list, and they are on it. The lids I bought might not be high end food grade, but they fit well and will just be to lock in the CO2 once I install airlock holes (with grommet of course) in them.

Thanks so much, as I was ready to bite the bullet and spend a lot more for one a couple gallons smaller.

Pam in cinti

Great Thread. I just ordered a 10 and 20 gallon from Amazon after pricing at Home Depot. I'll be making some cranberry wine and skeeterpee in them soon.

I read this thread and what came to the front of my mind was swimming pool !!

Allright I have come back to my senses now - but that would be cool !!!!

My 20 gal Brute arrived today. I also ordered a 10gal and a lid for each. I figured the lids would help keep them clean if nothing else, but does anyone use them when they ferment? I figure they are not air tight so I might still cover with a towel and I would rack to secondary at 1.010 instead of going dry in the Brute like I often do in a bucket with an airlock. My concern with just using a towel is they all smell like laundry detergent and dryer sheets. I doubt I want that covering my primary. Is there something else I should cover these primaries with now that they are wider across than my old primary?

I was going to start 12 gallons of skeeterpee. Do you think I should make 12 at once or split it into 2 batches. I still need to rack to 2 6 gallon carboys for secondary.

Derunner I just set the lid on it to keep out critters and stuff, a little more rigid than a towel. Might as well make a 12 gal batch then into 2- 6 gal you can add anything if wanting two different styles.

Good luck

I'm curious how full anyone has filled their 20 gal Brute while fermenting? I just marked it tonight with various gals that I might get to with 5 and 6 gallon carboys available for secondary. I am sure 12 gals would be not be too full. For something that is all juice or skeeterpee, I am wondering if I could safely make 16 gals. That leaves about 4 inches to the top. 16 gals of skeeterpee would let me rack to 2 5gals and 1 6 gal carboys.

What about fruit wines. How full would you fill a 20 gal with fruit and juice?

Thanks for your recommendations.

My mom and dad bought me this as a valentines day gift. It holds 15 gallons, perfect for what i need in a primary. I'm gonna go pick up a few more seeing as they were only $10. Considering putting a spigot attachment. Either way I like it!

WP_000531.jpg

My mom and dad bought me this as a valentines day gift. It holds 15 gallons, perfect for what i need in a primary. I'm gonna go pick up a few more seeing as they were only $10. Considering putting a spigot attachment. Either way I like it!

I like that! Where did it come from?

For sure, more details are required! What recycling number is on the plastic?

I'm curious how full anyone has filled their 20 gal Brute while fermenting? I just marked it tonight with various gals that I might get to with 5 and 6 gallon carboys available for secondary. I am sure 12 gals would be not be too full. For something that is all juice or skeeterpee, I am wondering if I could safely make 16 gals. That leaves about 4 inches to the top. 16 gals of skeeterpee would let me rack to 2 5gals and 1 6 gal carboys.

What about fruit wines. How full would you fill a 20 gal with fruit and juice?

Thanks for your recommendations.

Don't forget to put your primary up on a bench or chair or something, so that you can rack out of it. (Obviously, I am assuming that you will siphon out of it; if you have a vacuum pump, you can ignore my advice!)

I have my eye on a red fermentation tank that my local place sells. It's 110 liters so 29.72 gallons. and u can add a spigot and filter in front of the spigot. It's only 35.50.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Back