WineXpert Is. Mist Raspberry Merlot Stabilising phenomena

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bostaevski

Junior
Reaction score
I had an Island Mist Raspberry Merlot in secondary fermentation.

I was supposed to check for stable specific gravity on Feb 5 but I did not get around to it until Feb 11.

It was supposed to be at .996 but the main hydrometer said 1.000. However, backup hydrometer said .992 so I averaged them together and went ahead with the stabilising, fining, degassing, etc
smiley9.gif

Today I noticed they looked like the following. Wondering if this is normal? I did not notice this with either of the cabernet sauvignon kits I am working on.

IMG_1404.jpg
IMG_1401.jpg

Sometimes sedimentsticks on the sides of the carboy. Give the carboya quick 1/4 turn twist and it should fall to the bottom.

You may have to do the twist a few times over the next few days but it works great and this is a fairly common occurrence.

k i'll twist it tomorrow morning. I thought it was strange how it formed into those layers like that.

I had the same thing happen to me with this kit. A few quick twists did the trick for me.

I'm curious as to why your 2 hydrometers gave such different readings. Have you checked them in water at the temperature they were set at?

One r both are probably out of whack, they are after all only a paper sleeve stuck inside a glass tube and 1 good jar will knock it up or down farther in the tube. Test them in water to see what they read at the correct temp they are calibrated for. Most are calibrated to 60 degrees F but some are different .

i gave it the twist and everything starting falling off.

I believe the first hydrometer (the one I got from FVW) is the one that is more accurate. I tested them both a while ago and the first one was closer to 1.000 at 60 degrees. I'll test them again next time I need to use one. The other one I got at a local wine making store and it has an integrated thermometer.

Do they make more robust ones that aren't just paper inserts?

Lab grade hydrometers are more robust and easier to read, but they also require a much larger sample. They are typically used in a 1000 ml cylinder. Way too much like work for wine making.

Ok this is just weird...

When I measured the island mist,
Hydrometer (A) read 1.000
Hydrometer (B) read 0.994.
So... (B) was measuring lower.

Last night I filled the test jar with water that was about 61 degrees (close enough).
(A) read 1.002
(B) read 1.000
- so (B) still reads lower

Then I filled the test jar with a riesling I'm working on and
(A) showed 0.990
(B) showed 0.996
Now hydrometer (B) is measuring higher??? I swear I am gentle with these things. I guess I have to consider that the paper is sliding around inside hydrometer (A).

Is it possible my test jar is too small? It's just a plastic thing and sometimes I feel like the thick part of the hydrometers are sort of sticking to it. When I drop the hydrometer in I spin it like a top.

ugh I have the last two backwards. I did it again today and (A) shows .996, (B) shows .990. Either way they are consistently off by .006 except in 60 degree water they appear to be closer. :(

Do you spin it as you are dropping it in as it helps to get rid of air bubbles that want to keep it suspended?

yeah i spin 'em like a top. I don't understand sometimes they are off by .006. When I measured my Riesling tonight after putting in the f-pack they were only off by .002.

Back