Greetings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineaholic

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all.

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and picking up some great info along the way.

I've been a wine lover for a long time but I've had to wait until recently to get into the hobby as it was only in the past year that we moved into a home large enough to accommodate the equipment and eventual "inventory".

About a month ago I came across a sweet little old lady looking to sell her equipment (she was lightheartedly concerned that her drinking was getting out of control :) ). All told I got 4 primaries, 5 glass carboys (3-6gal, 2 5gal), spoon, hydrometer, bottle washer, bottle sterilizer pump, bottle tree, degassing whip, 2 corkers, a box of airlocks, and a Buon Vino mini jet with filters. If my car wasn't totally loaded I would have taken more than just the 3 dozen empty bottles she offered. I think I did good for $100.

I wasted little time in getting the ball rolling. After getting all the equipment sterilized I went and picked up a W.E. Selection International Chilean Cab.Sav as my first kit. After 6 days in the primary at a pretty steady 23-24 deg Celsius (thats 73-75 F for my American friends), the SG was .996 (started at 1.080) so I racked it to a carboy today. I intend on bulk aging this for at least 6 months as I have carboys to spare (for now).

I would like to make a an Island Mist or Orchard Breezin kit next to distract me from the Cab.Sav. for a while. Any suggestions? Has anyone tried the RJ Spagnols "Superfruits" line? The Acai Raspberry Cabernet sounds good; has anyone tried it?

Thanks for all the great info so far, I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Dennis

Last edited:
Welcome!

You got an excellent deal on the gear ... I recommend he Blackberry/Cab IM kit. I made mine with 3# added sugar. Some folks recommend adding part of the fpac up front, but I didn't do that. Came out great.

Good luck with your new obsession!

Man, you stepped in gold plated sh!t with that score. I suggest the Blueberry Shiraz myself and boost up the abv a little with 3 lbs of sugar in the primary. Welcome to our forum!

Welcome to a great forum, Dennis. You got a real deal on the equipment and are off to a good start.
I have made the Acai Rasp and it was very good; the OB Pomegranite Wildberry Zin is also very good. I would recommend either one of these.
Just a note - the starting SG for your Sel Int Cab Sauv is a little low at 1.080; probably should be more like1.090. It could be that the water didn't get stirred into the juice enough at the beginning - it must be stirred vigorously to get the stuff to mix well; otherwise the top part will be more watery and give you a false low reading.
Good luck.

Just a note - the starting SG for your Sel Int Cab Sauv is a little low at 1.080; probably should be more like1.090.
Good luck.

My error...the initial SG was 1.088. The instructions indicated an initial SG range of 1.080-1.100, so I thought all was well as I was in the proper range. I thought I stirred it pretty well but I will make a note to stir like hell next time. Also, I measured the SG in a wine thief.

Welcome you have came to the right place to learn how to make wine a great bunch of people here willing to help when your in need

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place. I'm working on a RJS Strawberry White Zinfandel. It looks and smells great.

yeahhh, another Canuck. Welcome Dennis. I have done both the Blackberry and the Pom IM kits and they are both great. I do boost up the starting sg and add part of the f-pack in the beginning. Some don't add the f-pack and reserve it for the end. I just did a Peach Chard and saved the f-pack for the end (bumped up the start). I did not end up adding the full f-pack and will test in a couple of months. If I need to, I can still add part of the f-pack.

The first time I did the Pom and tasted it right away and did not like it. It does need to age a few months and then it is delicious:dg

Latest posts

Back