Is it ok to use equipment with different wines without recleaning/resanitizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericerler

Junior
Reaction score
I have three different red wines going right now and all three need to be racked at the same time.

Can I clean and sanitize one pail and siphon kit, then 1) siphon the first wine into the pail, clean and sanitize that carboy and siphon back, 2) then siphon the second wine into the pail, clean and sanitize that carboy and siphon back, 3) and finally siphon the third wine into the pail, clean and sanitize that carboy and siphon back, all with only cleaning and sanitizing the pail and siphon before starting the process?

Cheers!

You only need to clean and sanitize all equipment once as long as you are doing one right after the other.

DUHHHHH Sarah good point! If you're doing some crazy a*s wine like candy cane or jalapeno you not only have to clean very well but you may have to soak for a day.

I just hit everything with my spray bottle of K-meta. and only was if im doing totally different wines.

You just described the perfect reason to get another carboy so you can skip the pail and keep that nasty oxygen away from your wine and cut your siphoning in half :) Rack into the clean carboy, clean the dirty one, and rack into it and keep going, only leaves one carboy to clean at the end. Crackedcork

I have three different red wines going right now and all three need to be racked at the same time.

Can I clean and sanitize one pail and siphon kit, then 1) siphon the first wine into the pail, clean and sanitize that carboy and siphon back, 2) then siphon the second wine into the pail, clean and sanitize that carboy and siphon back, 3) and finally siphon the third wine into the pail, clean and sanitize that carboy and siphon back, all with only cleaning and sanitizing the pail and siphon before starting the process?

Cheers!

Cheers!

That's a lot of unnecessary work - clean and sanitize your bucket, rack 1st wine to it, rinse out that carboy, rack your second wine to it, rinse out 2nd carboy, rack 3rd wine to it, rinse out that carboy and rack 1st wine from bucket back to that carboy.
You only need to clean and sanitize your bucket and siphon assembly at the beginning - after that just rinse everything.
This is assuming your carboys are all the same size.

That's a lot of unnecessary work - clean and sanitize your bucket, rack 1st wine to it, rinse out that carboy, rack your second wine to it, rinse out 2nd carboy, rack 3rd wine to it, rinse out that carboy and rack 1st wine from bucket back to that carboy.
You only need to clean and sanitize your bucket and siphon assembly at the beginning - after that just rinse everything.
This is assuming your carboys are all the same size.

Agree ! :try

I thought you should sanitize between each batch in case something is wrong with one that you don't know about.
Kind of like using a new syringe for each patient.

That's overkill then?

Your making the assumption that each kit is free of any problems or bad actors. If you suspect any of them having something going on then for sure, sanitize between batches, but if they look clean (nothing weird growing inside) , taste like they should etc you are safe to only sanitize at the very beginning.

I would sanitize each carboy after you racked from. Most here keep a gallon of sanitizer in a gal jug. All U need to do is pour via funnel and slosh it around and pour back. Cheap insurance.

Your making the assumption that each kit is free of any problems or bad actors. If you suspect any of them having something going on then for sure, sanitize between batches, but if they look clean (nothing weird growing inside) , taste like they should etc you are safe to only sanitize at the very beginning.

Yes, I'm assuming the wine is okay. Otherwise, sanitizing is certainly in order.

Latest posts

Back