Indiana State Fair Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wine-O

Winemaker
Reaction score
Did anyone enter the Indiana State Fair Wine Competition? They got over 3000 entries in both commercial and amateur. I entered 6 wines myself and recieved 6 medals!! I got 2 bronze, 2 silver, 1 gold, and 1 double gold. The double gold entries go for the best of show awards. Hey George, it was my 2006 Staggs Leap District Merlot that got the double gold. It didn't even medal at the Winemakers Competition, but did get a gold at Corrado's Competition this past January. It just goes to show you what the wrong judge can do to you.
Bottoms Up,
Dave

Where is this Corrado.s as i know there is one in New York or New Jersey that some locals here in Ct. enter! Congrats!!!!!!!! If there was a red wine from W.E without a grape pack to win thats the one I would think would win, i sampled some of Masta's and it was awesome.

Corrado's is in Paterson, NJ. They have about 1500 people at the awards dinner in January. It's really a great time at a great place.

Congrats! That is my favorite competition and the Mother of All comps IMHO. I didn't enter anything this year. I did have a few to send but just didn't get around to it. I have a few medals from that comp. It has really grown the past few years though. I am saving the entries I was gonna send this year for next year. Another year in the bottle will not hurt.

Congrats !
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

What were the other medal winner?

The other medals were 2008 Orange Chocolate Port,Gold; 2008 Tannat Merlot, Silver; 2008 Pacific Quartet, Silver; 2008 Pacific Quartet, Bronze; 2008 Gentil, Bronze. I mistakingly entered the Pacific Quartet twice, I sent in one entry of three wines and after winning in Winemakers Competition I got the bug to enter 3 more. I just forgot that I entered that one previously!
Out of the 3066 wine entries only 786 were Amateur entries. I did notice that Tim Vandergrift from Winexpert won 96 medals in the Amateur Competition and he entered a few of the same wines twice so I don't feel so stupid!! But his 2006 Staggs Leap District Merlot only got a silver, I beat him with my Double Gold!! HA HA I guess he must get his kits at a severe discount!!

Wine-O,
Congratulations on the medals! It goes to show you the subjectivity that is inherent in wine competitions. I'm glad you took home the metal.

- Jim

Hello all - I entered two wines and was pleased to receive two medals - a bronze for a 2008 apricot and a silver for my 2008 watermelon - bothfrom scratch. The watermelon has a distinctive aroma and taste and I was not sure if that was how it was supposed to be - guess it was!

Congrats Wayne. I am kicking myself in the butt for not entering this year. I had 4-5 wines that would of done very well. Hold your heads high medal winners. This is one of the toughest comps to medal at. They normally have some great judges there.

Thanks and congratulations to you also Wine-O for cleaning up! I went 0 for 2 (with two kit wines) at Winemaker - so, you lose some and you win some!

Is anyone on the forum entering this competition this year? Time to enter is now.

tonyt said:
Is anyone on the forum entering this competition this year? Time to enter is now.

I just sent in my entries yesterday. My wife and I both entered our wines. She entered 6 and I entered 12.

Oow, I didn't win anything yet, hope you didn't jinx me... HaHaHa

John,
I didn't see anything about one at the Meadowlands this year. Isn't that the one that's going to be in Sussex in August? I entered some in that one this time, sounds like they got it worked out better than when you entered it a few years ago!

Latest posts

Back