If I use glycerine do I need to use sorbate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormanfarm

Reaction score
I have 5 gal of strawberry wine that I am planning to bottle in the near future. I am thinking that I want to keep the strawberry a little on the dry side and maybe only faintly sweet. I have a lot of strawberry flavor since I made it with pure strawberry juice (very little water). I think my abv will go to about 13%. My question is do you folks think that I can get by sweetning the wine with glycerine ( I am thinking of 4 oz in 5 gal). Would this give me a slight sweet taste and also good body? (BTW I used raisins in the must when fermenting to give it more body). My second question is if I use the glycerine do I have to add sorbate before bottling? Thanks for your help in advance.

I think strawberry needs a lot of sugar, but try just glycerine first. If you add any sugar at all, get that sorbate in there first.

Before you add that much glycerin, taste a half teaspoon of it straight and ask yourself if you really want that much in your wine.

As Dan said, if you add any sugar at all, you will need to add sorbate.

Back