I think... i added too much sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I understand "seconds".... unless you are talking about elderberries... the seconds are as good as the first batch.

Debbie

Some update on my progress... The 'first wine' (moved to glass container on 9th September) has really slowed down (boiling) and only 1 bubble/minute is escaping from the airlock, while the second wine (moved to glass container on 12th September) is still producing 2-3 bubbles/minute. Is this normal as a friend told me that they should last 3-4 weeks producing bubbles through the airlock. He advised me to either add some more yeast/sugar or else stir the wine in the glass containers to help the fermentation process continue. What are your opinions?

Another update. I checked with the hydrometer and both wines are under 1.000 sg (at .90) so fermentation is complete. I tasted the wine and the flavour is sour or acidic i am confused which. Is this bad or should i give it more time for the flavour to be better? Any options to make a sour wine better or should i just give it more time? By sour i do not mean a vinegar flavor.

On another note, at which stage in the wine process should i introduce tannisol (sulphur). Can i add it now?

Last edited:
Forget the bubbles! They mean very little. Go by your hydrometer! If the SG is below about 1.000 and it has not changed for 3 days in a row, it is finished fermenting; the sugar is all gone and any additional yeast would have nothing to ferment. In this case the bubbles are nothing but CO2 being expelled. You will need to degas the wine well to get rid of the CO2. Degas it before you start clearing.

Concerning your last post:
Your wine is still only a baby. At this stage it will be very tart (green) and undrinkable.

It is like a fruit, such as a variety of apple that gets red when it is ready to eat; try eating it when it is still small and green and see what you get. Wine is no different, especially rich red wines. White wines come around much quicker but still taste green right out of the fermenter.

Let the wine clear and set for a few months, it will start to taste more like wine. The more time you give it, the better it will get. But of course any wine will eventually peak and start deteriorating, depending on the variety and aging conditions. Your wine is a long way from peaking.

Patience my friend, patience.

Last edited:
Back