I can't help it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guapo

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE the smell of wine fermenting in my wine room. I find myself going in there several times each day (just to get a smell) and watch the bubbles in the air locks. It's probably a good thing that I'm not a rich man, as I would be making way too much wine. Right now I have 3 gal Elderberry, 3 gal Black Currant, 6 gal Blackberry, 4 gal Black Raspberry, 3 gal Jelly Palm, 1 gal Blk Rasp/Blk Cherry, 1 gal Orange, 1 gal spiced apple, 1 gal white grape, and 2 gallons of Jalapeno. I rest my case
smiley4.gif

Oh yes, I forgot about the plans to make 5 gal of white grape Riesling type wine (for the wife) and 5 gallons of another (perhaps Strawberry)

Winemaking is awesome!!
smiley36.gif

Guapo, you know what's really cool? Try putting your hands and an ear on the side of your fermenting bucket when things inside are roiling. You can hear it and feel it working at the same time. It's wonderful!

Joan, That one has escaped me. But, I will give it a try. (when my wife isn't looking ) ;^)>

Guapo said:
Joan, That one has escaped me. But, I will give it a try. (when my wife isn't looking ) ;^)>

It's not a bad thing to put an ear up to the bucket, it's when you are caught talking to it! (or so I've heard)
smiley36.gif

Yes, of course........ehem.......uh..............we wouldn't want to get caught doing that!
smiley36.gif
smiley17.gif

Oh no, it must be a virus of epidemic proportions........I also have it in Texas
smiley36.gif

I enjoy the fermentation smell, too. It is a smell all its own.

When I go down stairs to check on my wine, I always take my buddy with me. He is a 7 year old Brittany Spaniel named Peso. I can just say, "Peso, let's go check our wine", and he is up and down the stairs ahead of me.

If I am fermenting (which is about all the time now
smiley32.gif
) he goes to the fermentation room door and sniffs. He sneezes and shacks his head in a sort of disgusting manner, then backs away. I guess he doesn't enjoy the smell, like most of us do.

Ahhh.

I see you have a "velcro" buddy like I do!

Meet Jack.

20100301_122033_DSC02065.jpg

My trusty 4 year old Golden Retriever.

He's happy when he is in the house.
He's happier when he is in the same room with you.
He's happiest when he is laying on you!
smiley36.gif

Hi Jack,

He's holding that head very erect... like he is impatient and ready to go hunting or something!

You know, seeing "a buddy" just makes me smile. Even with the mess their air makes, life just wouldn't be the same without 'em.

Peso got his shots last Thursday. They were both in his left shoulder and by Saturday morning, they caused his whole shoulder and leg to swell to be twice their normal size. He was so pitiful that day; he couldn't even get down the stairs. If I had ran him more right after the shots, it might not have been as bad, so naturally, I felt really bad.

As bad as he felt, he still wouldn't leave my side, no matter where I went.

By Sunday evening he was tearing (not running, tearing) around the yard, like it had never happened.

I know what you mean. I just pitched yeast for a 6 gallon batch for California zinfandel. The house have been kinda empty of smells this month with empty primaries.

I didn't know they could stay empty. Seems like every time I empty mine, something else just magically fills it back up... or at least my wife thinks that's what's happening.
smiley2.gif

Joan said:
Guapo, you know what's really cool? Try putting your hands and an ear on the side of your fermenting bucket when things inside are roiling. You can hear it and feel it working at the same time. It's wonderful!

You folks definitely have issues! Gosh, its good to know I'm not alone anymore.
smiley32.gif
Now that I know I have a support group I wonder how could be our sponsor?

Latest posts

Back