hydrometer calibration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrycrush

Reaction score
My hydrometer reads 0.995 for tap water. I thought that should read 1.0
Is this common for hydrometers or is mine defective?

you need to use distilled water, everyone's tap water will give a different reading, there are minerals in your water.

ohoh....dang it i didnt know it had to be distilled..
that means i am going to have a hot hot blackberry....

ohoh....dang it i didnt know it had to be distilled..
that means i am going to have a hot hot blackberry....

I doubt it, it shouldn't be off that bad. Calibrate it now and you can do the math. And I haven't had a chance to look at your email, I'll get to it tomorrow.

My hydrometer reads 0.995 for tap water. I thought that should read 1.0
Is this common for hydrometers or is mine defective?[/QUOTE

The water you use to calibrate your hydrometer should also be brought to the temperature that is printed at the bottom of the scale. usually 60*F or 68*F.
LOUMIK:b

Julie said:
you need to use distilled water, everyone's tap water will give a different reading, there are minerals in your water.

My first hydrometer read 1.000 in my tap water. It broke and I bought a replacment hydrometter. It read 1.002 in the same water. I then bought yet another one to replace the faulty one. It read 1.000 in water. These were all using the same water, and temp. Some hydrometers just have their paper scale glued in the wrong spot, faulty in short terms. This has nothing to do with minerals in the water! Just know what it reads the water you use in your wine and use that as your "true 1.000" reading. Or ignore it and keep using it. Those .002 differences do not make a big difference in the long run. Just as long as you are consistant you will be fine.

I have heard there is a digital hydrometer that will be for sale next month.
it will be a little pricey, but...it will give you 7 diffrent readings at one time for your wine.sg,brix,temp,so,acid,ph and forgot the others. I begged to get one...

sal, I wish that i could say, but i can not.
1...its not for sale yet, it will be soon, and I hope they will be an advertiser here.
If you search the net for digital hydrometers, you will find it.
sorry

This wine maker mag article on calibrating your hydrometer says tap is ok, but the temp is key.

Relevant passage:
"To calibrate your hydromter, fill your test jar with plain water at exactly--very, very exactly--60 degrees Fahrenheit (15C). Some folks will tell you to use distilled water, but don't waste your time or money on that--tap water is plenty fine for our purposes. Float the hydrometer in the water and carefully check the reading. Sometimes you'll be lucky: it will read precisely zero, and you've got an accurate scale. Most of the rest of the time it will be one, two, or three points off. Make a note of the error in your winemaking notebook, and whenever you take a reading, always subtract (or add) the amount your hydrometer is off. "

I don't think this is the one James was referring to because it only registers your alc, SG, temp etc. It doesn't read your SO2,PH or TA

Uh oh, now you have me googling....This one (advertised for beer) stays in the must and give you SG readings over wifi/bluetooth! Link this up to a home server and you could be checking on your SG on your phone from anywhere!

Link it to jsiddall's home temp monitoring system and you can have quite the automated system.

Latest posts

Back