Primary Confusion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Umutcancamci

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newbie here.

I just prepared my must three days ago and left it to be fermented. I planned to leave it for around 7 days. Today, I got a hydrometer reading of 0.995 and I was shocked a little bit but I learned it can be possible to end the fermentation in just three days, my problem is my press machine is still under construction. I’m pretty sure that fermentation is completed because the pulps are not swelling anymore they are just floating just under the surface of the liquid. Nevertheless, I'm going to take another reading tomorrow just to be sure. My question is how many more days can I keep this like that until the press machine is completed? And if keeping it is possible, should it be oxygenless with an airlock or like just in the primary period?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
If it is really 0.995 then it really should be pressed within a day or so. There is a lot of CO2 in the wine right now but you are also losing the protection of that CO2 very fast with that wide open headspace. I would try and get it under an airlock and press as soon as possible.

I concur~ extended maceration (EM) could be your friend here until your press is ready. Be sure it’s under airlock as soon as possible with a minimum of headspace if feasible, and don’t open it until you’re ready to press. The off-gassing will help to reduce the amount of any other gasses and help to protect the wine. I’ve done EM for up to 8 weeks with great success. No peeking though. Once it’s open it’s open. Be sure you’re airlock remains topped off.

What is the primary fermenter? Do you have a lid for it? If it's a purpose-built wine fermenter (typically 7.9 US gallons), put the lid on and add the air lock. If not and you have plastic wrap available, do your best to seal the top. As Mike said, the wine is emitting CO2 so you have a buffer.

A fair number of our members practice extended maceration (EM), where the seal the fermenter under an airlock when the SG is between 1.020 and 1.010, and leave it up to 8 weeks. I recall one person reporting doing a non-sealed EM, where they punch down every day, although I'm not comfortable trying that.

Your situation is not ideal, but by doing your best to seal the primary, you buy yourself time. How long do you anticipate it will take to complete construction of the press.

What is the primary fermenter? Do you have a lid for it? If it's a purpose-built wine fermenter (typically 7.9 US gallons), put the lid on and add the air lock. If not and you have plastic wrap available, do your best to seal the top. As Mike said, the wine is emitting CO2 so you have a buffer.

A fair number of our members practice extended maceration (EM), where the seal the fermenter under an airlock when the SG is between 1.020 and 1.010, and leave it up to 8 weeks. I recall one person reporting doing a non-sealed EM, where they punch down every day, although I'm not comfortable trying that.

Your situation is not ideal, but by doing your best to seal the primary, you buy yourself time. How long do you anticipate it will take to complete construction of the press.
I anticipate it in around three days probably. I’ll keep the lid on with an airlock and do not touch until the press time. I hope I’ll survive lol

Latest posts

Back