HP touchpad - score!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
if any of you are techies, u'll know what I'm talking about. the HP touchpad was discontinued & went on sale from $499 down to $99 saturday ive searched the web all weekend with no luck. Found 1 today at a HH gregg. Using it to post now! Ive had an ipad2 since april, but couldnt pass this up.

after using it all afternoon I realized why it was discontinued. The app store / available apps are terrible, in comparison to apple. The big news for this device is that there is a bounty out for the first programmer that can build it into a android based device.

so, ive got a sweet new machine that will soon be running androids honeycomb for $99 bucks!!!

Brian

Nice. I was looking at those a week before. Too bad they canceled it. Looked like a good threat to iPads.

There was a big write up on this very thing the other day. Hp will be getting out of the home PC business altogether and are looking to only do buisiness solution plans now. They said they would have to invest way too much money and time only to be most likely wiped out by the 2 big companies that already have the big bite of the market, Apple and Google Android.

It's sad to hear that HP is getting out of the home computing scene, I've always had excellent luck with their products.

Being a techie myself, I must say I am so happy to see you moving away from Apple :D It's ridiculous how much control they put over their devices through their software. It's a little iChain!

If there is any advice I can give people looking to take the next step with their mobile technologies, always, ALWAYS side with the guy whose software is open source. They not only survive, they end up thriving (Linux, while not common in the home, is one of the most prevalent and successful operating systems running many business networks, and is largely open source).

I've been reading on the HP touchpad -- will be quite a handy device once they port the Android OS -- hopefully you're technically savvy enough to take care of that without incident :D. Read that someone has already ported 2.3 Gingerbread. Looks like the release is supposed to be tomorrow -- [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b3Snz5KO0E]check here tomorrow[/ame].

I don't wish to get into a flame war but evidently many techies don't mind our little "iChain" devices as you call them.....

Don't get me wrong I like open source stuff as well but I also like stuff that just works.

That comes with close integration of hardware and software that no one has achieved IMHO outside of Apple. :gn

I don't wish to get into a flame war but evidently many techies don't mind our little "iChain" devices as you call them.....

Don't get me wrong I like open source stuff as well but I also like stuff that just works.

That comes with close integration of hardware and software that no one has achieved IMHO outside of Apple. :gn

Please don't take my comment the wrong way! It was not my intention to flame either ;)

Everyone will have their preferences - aesthetics or functionality, speed or reliability -- and these will be presented to us in multiple forms.

If I had to put all of my eggs in one basket, however, I'd choose Google's, as their basket is far larger than Apple could ever wish for. When it comes to information and information technology, Google literally owns the field.

Affe;140267.Read that someone has already ported 2.3 Gingerbread.[/QUOTE said:
no worries about the install. But, I'll wait for the honeycomb. Maybe ice cream sandwich, but if I can hold out I'm sure some of the bugs will b worked out.

if they have gingerbread already, it'll only b days for the full package.

the webos isnt bad, I could get use to it, its the app store thats terrible!!!

as far as apple, other than flash & some of the apple quirks I like it. I have a 3GS, skipped the 4 & looking forward to the 5 this fall. I'll prob b waiting n line.

brian

Android install complete

Installed the alpha 2 cyanogenmod android software the other day on the touchpad. Was a litte worried because of all the known bugs, but I have had absolutely no major issues. The install was fairly simple. I've found 1 app that wont run & zero crashes. The android software is great. I'm liking it better than my ipad2 right now. But, that may just be that its a new toy. Time will tell.

The most amazing thing is how well the alpha2 runs. After reading about the bugs I was worried. But, it runs smoother than the webos. Even my 4 year old played on it for hrs with no issues.

Brian

One question. Is there any forseeable issues in purchasing a discontinued item? Will HP continue to support the ones they have sold? What about new releases or fixes?

One question. Is there any forseeable issues in purchasing a discontinued item? Will HP continue to support the ones they have sold? What about new releases or fixes?

Since HP discontinued the tablet, HP will not have any new releases on this or any fixes. I think they might still honor the warranty provided you don't modify it. By putting Android on it I think you're out of luck.

Latest posts

Back