How's this year's garden

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend has just encountered the most vicious and indestructible garden pest, the dreaded "Friend in Need".

Nothing can compare with the shear devastation caused by this pest. If you have so much as ONE in your garden, you will find that half of your cucumbers and several tomatoes will be completely gone in just a matter of 20 minutes. GONE! Not even a trace left behind.

LOL, This is how my conversation went when my friend graciously offered to share the spoils of her garden. I could not thank her enough since my cucumber crop was VERY disappointing and I did not have any to can. I came home with a good 2 doz cucumbers and 1/2 doz tomatoes..

When I got home, I immediately washed/sliced/canned them. Got my supply of bread and butter pickles for the winter!

So I finally got around to harvesting my potatoes!

I went with a container method. I nurtured them to the point where the potato plants were vibrant, green, and lush!

Well, the plants died off about a week ago. Having a moment to spare on Friday, I grabbed a bucked and dug my through the soil, collecting all of the season's bounty.

My wife still hasn't stopped laughing..

IMG_20160902_170156_778.jpg

Was out in the garden and picked some tomatios and peppers so I made some Salsa Verde. Makes really good chicken fajita's with Sams Club rotisserie chicken.:(

image.jpg

Picked the last of the tomatoes and peppers this morning. Got 1/2 bushel of roma tomatoes, this had to be the worst year I have ever had with tomatoes. Ran them thru the squeezeO and then boiled adding peppers,onions,garlic, celery,carrots and lots of herbs. When I finished I had 9 qts of thick homemade V8 juice great during the cold winter and not to bad for a Bloody Mary:ib

image.jpg

So I finally got around to harvesting my potatoes!

I went with a container method. I nurtured them to the point where the potato plants were vibrant, green, and lush!

Well, the plants died off about a week ago. Having a moment to spare on Friday, I grabbed a bucked and dug my through the soil, collecting all of the season's bounty.

My wife still hasn't stopped laughing..

John, I just refuse to plant potatoes or onions....I can't see them grow and they are way too cheap to buy...my garden is too small to the waste the space.

This year we had the finest crop of zinnas you ever saw...we are cutting huge batches of blooms for the house and to give away. They don't taste good, but they sure bring a smile to every one who sees them. It's a small thing to give away flowers, but it brings me huge joy to do it.

John, I just refuse to plant potatoes or onions....I can't see them grow and they are way too cheap to buy...my garden is too small to the waste the space.

My brother had given me some of his home grown spuds. I cooked them up and had to say that they were fantastic. They were perhaps the best potatoes I ever had. I figured I would give it a try, but something must have gone wrong. Very disappointing!

I totaly agree, fresh garden spuds can't be beat so much creamer to anything you can get in the store. To grow good ones your soil should have a pH of 5.5. And you need lots of compost in it so the soil is loose. A little side dressing of 10-10-10 early in the growing season helps to.:h

out on an East Texas deer lease in a long ago past life we grew sweet potatoes. Used a 55 gallon barrel that we knocked holes in the sides to plant the slips. Filled it up with rotted cow manure and that East Texas sandy dirt and plugged in the slips. I thought it was a real waste of time...but, the deer love the potatoe vines, they were a real attractant.

Those East Texas boys were true backwoods country folks! After they took their deer, they would kick over the barrels and pull out the sweet potatoes to eat with their venison...they could cook too!

Point is, those taters grew real good in a barrel...maybe you just need a bigger pot.

I just started out gardening,but it has been a good year so far.I would recommend getting organic weed killers to get rid of the weed.

Latest posts

Back