How's this year's garden

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My tomatoes in particular are just going crazy!
I can't keep up with the tying of them.
Kale is growing way too fast for us to eat it all, and lettuce has gone bitter.

Steve

image.jpg

Wow, looking great! Last year my kale grew over 6 feet tall. I planted less this year.

Given that I will have a plethora of vegetables this year I'm looking at preservation methods. I think I will be doing a lot of lactofermented veggies. Definitely pickles, but I'm also going to ferment the green beans, cabbage (sauerkraut), cauliflower, beets, and . . . lots of fermented pepper hot sauce.

We've picked 6 yellow squash and 2 heads of broccoli so far from our garden along with a ton of herbs. Tomato plants are about 4 1/2 feet tall and are starting to get tomatoes. We have cucumbers on the plant and the Zucchini is starting to flower. Love the fresh veggies.

I can't upload more than one pic at a time for some reason this is some of my garden

image.jpg

My sad looking raised bed have to plant some more seeds in the bare spots kale, romain, red sails, and spinach.

image.jpg

Garden is doing great so far. I actually can see my very first cucumber!
I harvested some basil and made up 3 "flavor packs" for the freezer. Sorry if some of the pics are a little fuzzy.

IMG_20160702_194447_838.jpg

IMG_20160702_194530_230.jpg

IMG_20160701_082926_987.jpg

IMG_20160701_083001_681.jpg

IMG_20160704_152418_256.jpg

Pumpkins
Tomatoes
Leeks
Peppers
Beans
Zukes
Celery
Cabbage

Been ok, besides no rain, so I just keep watering. Thank God for the cistern!

IMAG0536.jpg

Picked my garlic this morning, just finished braiding it, old stiff hands suck. I planted it last Oct. Inchelium Red , and Polish White. Both solfneck. 10 braids of 12 head, plus some small ones.

image.jpg

The deer are loving it this year...we've been so busy we just try to get out cut squash just throw over fence....birds are getting the best tomatoes and those go over the fence too. We picked about almost a full 5 gallon bucket of peppers, took 'em to church and gave them away....got home and found a paper sack full of peppers someone dropped off on the back porch!

The zinnias are just awesome this year...about 4' tall and covered in blooms. We cut them by the bucket full and just sit them on the porch in town and give them away. People will take them....the leave the squash sitting there!! Amazing what happens with rain in the garden.

Going to try and make tomato preserves sometime...if life ever slows down a little bit.

I'm waiting for my first tomatoes. But we sure could use some rain. We've had only about half an inch in the last two months. It's getting dry out there.

Latest posts

Back