how to sweeten your wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoyo

Junior
Reaction score
just wandering how do you sweeten your wine and when do you do it. i am about to start a riesling that has a sweetness of 1. my wife likes her whites a little on the sweet side. i was thinking of doing half just like the kits calls for and then half a little sweeter. any thoughts

We sweeten our wines when it's close to bottling time using simple syrup. If you tried to add more sweetness to it when you start it, you could really turn out some high alcohol content wine!
smiley5.gif
Depending on what your kit contains, you may need to add some extra ingredients at the end, but that will really be no big thing. What kind of kit do you have?

I use the same method as the Princess here, can tell you from experience to go really easy and sample after each SMALL addition, the sweetness , to me ,seems to come out even stronger after a little age ,and the flavors in the wine come forward. Whats sweet now may be too much later, something to keep in mind.

A sugar syrup is made by adding 2 cups of sugar to 1 cup of boiling water and letting it cool down to room temp then adding it gradually. What you should do is separate 1 gallon and add little by little to your desired sweetness recording how much you use for that 1 gallon and then multiply that by five for the rest of the batch or by 2 if you only want to sweeten 3 gallons. You could also use wine conditioner to sweeten your wine back. Either way, make sure the SG is stable in your wine, add the K-Meta and Sorbate before doing so.
Edited by: wade

REMENBER taste,taste and taste,once you've over done it there's no pulling it out!
smiley19.gif

yea i've had that problem with tasting myself.i just sleep it off and continue tasting later.

Latest posts

Back