How to save apples

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karrlot

Reaction score
I have a bunch of apples that I want to save and make wine later.

They are about 1/2 dollar to 1 dollar size. They are green and fairly sweet.

Should I just put the whole apples in the freezer or cut and core them first?

It will probably be easier to core and cut up apples before freezing. After you thaw them out they will be pretty soft and mushy.
Don't forget, if you core and cut them be sure to put them into a bowl of water and lemon juice to keep them from oxidizing and turning brown. When your finished, strain off lemon-water and put into freezer bags then into freezer.
LOUMIK

Actually, I don't core my apples, I slice them in half and freeze but I don't do a hard press either so I am not concern about breaking open the seed.

I live in apple country here in Western NC. If you want to save your apples here is what to do providing you are going to use them in the next 6 months. Go to your grocery store or produce market and ask the manager to let you have a roll of the thin plastic bags that you find in the supermarket. Make sure that they are the kind that do not have holes in them. I repeat...no holes. Fill your bags full of apples and tie a knot in the top of the bag to prevent any leakage of air. Store the bags of apples in the bottom of your refrigerator and they will keep for up to 6 months. When you take them out they will be as fresh as the day you put them in. I keep two used refrigerators in my garage especially to keep fruit in. Try it and see.

That sounds like a good plan for a small quantity of eating apples but what if you want to store 100 pounds or more for wine making.

I guess that it would all depend on how much storage room that one might have. I usually put up several bushels of apples this way this time of the year and they will last until about may of the next year. I have more refrigerator space than i have freezer space.

If you are making wine, it is good to frreeze them. Freezing the apples will help break them down and extract more juice.

Back