How much sugar to raise SG in 6 Gallons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkcook

Reaction score
I know this has been answered somewhere in this forum before, but I've searched everywhere and can't find it.

I would like to know how much sugar is required to raise the SG in 6 gallons from say .995 to 1.004? How much difference will using asugar syrup make thandissolvingthe sugar in a small amount of wine? Is there a chart somewhere for this?Edited by: pkcook

In my notes I have 17 ounces of sugar will raise it by .010....think that was for 5 gallons....that's all I have about that subject....
Bet Masta would have a whole page on the subject...

I was just checking for you. I use the gotmead.com calculator. It can calculate requirements for most any type of sugar or fruit to be added to your wine. Unfortunately their site crashed yesterday and will not be up till the 6th. I have used their calculator with great results for several wines I've made. WINECALC(downloaded) shows you would need to add 1.2 lbs of sugar to get to 1.004 from .995. WINECALC does not have the values set for anything other than sugar.

Thanks all,

Good info. Redder, where can you get the winecalc program? Is it free?

Back