How much SO2 in bottled wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
For those that are able to measure their SO2 levels, how much SO2 would there typically be after one year in the bottle? Two years? Etc.
Does the level decrease at a steady rate?
Thanks.

Two years of making wine, I have never checked for it at any time. I stuck with the rule of 1/4 tsp every three months. When I would bottle if it had been 8 weeks or more I would add it again. Right or wrong it worked for me BUT I plan on testing going forward in the new year. My New Years resolution is to learn and understand testing the wine beyond the hydrometer.

Actually I have a question about this also. Most wine kits I have done say something to the effect 'if wine is to be aged past 6 months add an additional 1/4tsp K-Meta to prevent premature oxidation'.

Well, if the wine was treated properly during all of the steps of getting it in a wine bottle behind a good cork, how can it then become oxidized after 6 months in the bottle? I was under the impression that the sulfites eventually broke down in the bottle anyway.

Most of us do not have proper cellars and temp changes as you most likely know can wreak havoc on wine. If you dont have good cellar conditions then this added sulfite is a good idea to prevent this oxidation. As you also know we as home wine makers keep our sulfite levels usually well below commercial levels and that added sulfite just brings it p around there.

Actually I have a question about this also. Most wine kits I have done say something to the effect 'if wine is to be aged past 6 months add an additional 1/4tsp K-Meta to prevent premature oxidation'.

Well, if the wine was treated properly during all of the steps of getting it in a wine bottle behind a good cork, how can it then become oxidized after 6 months in the bottle? I was under the impression that the sulfites eventually broke down in the bottle anyway.

I also have a question on wine kit testing, Do the wine kits already have the acid and ph, so2 and everything else at the proper levels when they ship out, or should I be checking them.
I haven't done any testing on the 3 kits I made, and was wondering if I should be.

I know only this about kit wines and that is you do not need to adjust ph and acid and do not do mlf on them.

Yes, wine kits are already prebalanced and do not need adjustment.

I've never hecked the levels after bottled. The amount you need at bottling depends upon the wines ph. If you go to the home page and How To's read how to take SO2. There is a chart of how much "free SO2" that is needed to protect wines.

Keep in mind wines with absorbic acid and tannin can give a false reading of your SO2level. Also realize if you add SO2 you can't take another test right away as it may take 2 to 3 days for the "free" SO2 to attach itself to O2 molecules.

Best is to measure correctly from the beginning. Reduce the air contact as much as possible and store wine correctly.

Thanks djrockinsteve. I checked out the tutorial and was surprised to read this quote "After you have bottled your wine, the free SO2 will drop 10 to 15ppm during the first 2 months."
I didn't think that it would drop out that fast but it does say that less SO2 is needed later on. "As a wine ages less SO2 is needed to protect the wine as some SO2 exists as bound SO2."

Back