how much fruit in a recipe is to much

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vschlaff

Reaction score
lets say I want to make a peach, pear and banana wine. I buy peach and pear fruit base but add fresh banana. I will be trying different things in the future with different fruits. base and fresh.
Thanks!

I did some researching today. I think I would just do half a batch of two different fruits and blend them in primary and add something else for body. Like 8oz of banana's. does this sound like a good practice to follow when mixing fruits?

If you measure the length of your bananas and divide them by the square root of your pears, you then take that answer and multiply that number by the circumference of the largest peach. This will give you the correct amount of fruit.:se

I did some researching today. I think I would just do half a batch of two different fruits and blend them in primary and add something else for body. Like 8oz of banana's. does this sound like a good practice to follow when mixing fruits?

When I am blending wine, I also prefer to finish them separately and then do several different blend percentages to see which is best. Banana's are good for body.

On a different note, several members here buy frozen mixed fruit and make a summer fruit drink with it that is quite good.

I will have to try that and get back to you after I do more research! Blueridgebilly!

I go by taste. I'm sure you've had a peach that was loaded with flavor and another that was blah. I try to err on the side of too much fruit. You can always add more water if you need to.

Thanks Dan! Ive read a lot about mixing fruit and sometimes it is overwhelming! That makes sence to blend afterwards to taste. I'm deffinatly learning that it comes down to taste. Is there a better brand of fozen fruit to look for. I love Friskes brand for tart cherrys. And when you mention a summer drink, is this wine or a different type of summer drink? Thanks

I go by taste. I'm sure you've had a peach that was loaded with flavor and another that was blah. I try to err on the side of too much fruit. You can always add more water if you need to.

I will keep that in mind with the fruit. I'm very new to making wine!!

How many of you,here, make Niagara? We came up with a blend that knocks your socks off as a summer drink.

We make Niagara wine from the grapes. Use no water, get the PH adjusted to 3.2 This makes an intense-tasting Niagara. For those of you who never had it, it's a very fruity-tasting wine.

We let it age for at least 6 months, and so it can do some clearing. At bottling, add 2 cans of limeaide to 5 gallons. It's totally awesome. It's going to be a "dirty" wine. Don't filter out the lime pieces because this reduces the flavor. Because you dirty it up with the limeade, the Niagara doesn't even need to be perfectly clear.

Try it sometime--you'll be addicted to it!

How many of you,here, make Niagara? We came up with a blend that knocks your socks off as a summer drink.

We make Niagara wine from the grapes. Use no water, get the PH adjusted to 3.2 This makes an intense-tasting Niagara. For those of you who never had it, it's a very fruity-tasting wine.

We let it age for at least 6 months, and so it can do some clearing. At bottling, add 2 cans of limeaide to 5 gallons. It's totally awesome. It's going to be a "dirty" wine. Don't filter out the lime pieces because this reduces the flavor. Because you dirty it up with the limeade, the Niagara doesn't even need to be perfectly clear.

Try it sometime--you'll be addicted to it!

can I have the recipe please!!!! I'm new here and I would need to know the start to finish process.
Thanks,
Ginny

There's not much to it, actually. 1 1/2 bushels of Niagara makes 5 gallons. You can use a good juice bucket too. I know several people who got some Niagara juice from Walker's in PA. to make this wine. We ferment it on the skins, and the recipe is like for any other wine---just be sure of NO water. Double the pectic enzyme as this often helps it clear better.

Just let it age and clear and add the limeaide at bottling. You'll also need some extra sugar to sweeten--it's much better at an SG of 1.020 than at 1.014 or so. The sweetness balances the acids better and the flavors come out much more. You get that sweet/tart sensation on your tongue which makes it even more intriuging to drink.

There's not much to it, actually. 1 1/2 bushels of Niagara makes 5 gallons. You can use a good juice bucket too. I know several people who got some Niagara juice from Walker's in PA. to make this wine. We ferment it on the skins, and the recipe is like for any other wine---just be sure of NO water. Double the pectic enzyme as this often helps it clear better.

Just let it age and clear and add the limeaide at bottling. You'll also need some extra sugar to sweeten--it's much better at an SG of 1.020 than at 1.014 or so. The sweetness balances the acids better and the flavors come out much more. You get that sweet/tart sensation on your tongue which makes it even more intriuging to drink.

Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back