How long to dry in primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilled

Reaction score
When making berry wine from fruit, and fermenting to dry in the primary bucket.
How many days do you usually leave the must in the primary?
Starting SG was 1.086. After 3 days I sealed the lid and placed an air lock at 1.007. Used 71b, goferm and then fermaidO.

So, about how may total days of ferment in the primary to dry?
I realize this can vary somewhat. Just trying to get an idea what to expect.

Thanks,
Dave

For me it has probably averaged about 14 days from pitching yeast to going dry. So, for me, it is generally lid locked down until day 14 and then take a reading.

Chilled
Maybe this will give you some idea. I’m doing a Dragon’s Blood and I pitched the yeast on 17 May, SG was 1.070. On 26 May the SG was 0.994. That was 9 days. On 28 May it was still 0.994. I racked into a carboy and added K-Meta and sorbate per Danger Dave’s instructions. Letting it degas before I add Super Kleer.

Maybe the real answer is "it depends" on temp and must and the wine Gods.

You really can not go by "days". Different conditions will affect the fermentation like salcoco said, just use your hydrometer.

Thanks,

I will be checking with my hydrometer.
Yes, many things affect the rate of fermentation.

I was just trying to get a general idea of what to expect. (1st one with fruit)
Didn't want to keep opening the lid just to check it.

I appreciate your comments.
Dave

I would suggest that the wine with fruit should be stirred each day. this will insure maximum extraction of juice and color. when the stirring is done a quick check for sg is possible.

during fermentation you shouldn't have the lid snapped down, just leave it sit loosely on top, at this point it needs the oxygen for it to ferment.

during fermentation you shouldn't have the lid snapped down, just leave it sit loosely on top, at this point it needs the oxygen for it to ferment.

Julie, when you say "shouldn't" do you really mean to say "needn't"? True, I've only 10 kits and 2 DB under my belt but I've always ether snapped the lid down or transferred to "secondary" and air-locked. With my kits this has been around SG 1.020 and with DB around 1.000. With no ill effects - wine goes/finishes to dry just fine under air-lock.

BTW RJS kit instructions, the ones I've done anyway, are okay with you locking down the lid right after pitching the yeast.

Ref:

7. Sprinkle yeast over the surface of the juice. Do not stir.
8. Place cover (or lid with Airlock and Rubber Bung) onto Primary Fermenter. If Airlock and
bung are used fill the Airlock half-full of water or mild sulphite solution.

Thanx...

Last edited:
Julie, when you say "shouldn't" do you really mean to say "needn't"? True, I've only 10 kits and 2 DB under my belt but I've always ether snapped the lid down or transferred to "secondary" and air-locked. With my kits this has been around SG 1.020 and with DB around 1.000. With no ill effects - wine goes/finishes to dry just fine under air-lock.

Thanx...

Well I guess I should have re-read the first post, yes when your sg gets down snap the lid down. There are a lot of new winemakers who think you should have the lid snapped down right from the very beginning and that is why I made that comment.

thanks for catching that.

Well I guess I should have re-read the first post, yes when your sg gets down snap the lid down. There are a lot of new winemakers who think you should have the lid snapped down right from the very beginning and that is why I made that comment.

thanks for catching that.

Gotcha... Thanks for the clarification.

Latest posts

Back