How long to age welches wine ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO that depends on how sweet you make it - the sweeter it is, the shorter the time to age. For a sweet Welches, I would think 3 mos if you didn't add much tannin. The dry recipes might need a year.

As an example, I've made a Black cherry/Concord off-dry that's pretty good after 9-12 mos. I managed to save 3 bottles I'll be drinking in June at 2 years in the bottle. I'll post the results :)

I drink the heck out of mine as soon as it is palatable, which is usually out of the carboy after second rack. If you see a flashlight through the carboy clearly, it is time to get drunk!

:dg:dg:dg

Let's face it, Welch's wine is the Bud Light of the wine world. If you want to age it for grins, rock and roll, bit don't let that stop ya from pilfering bottles along the way and be sure there's ALWAYS a carboy full coming down the line!

IMHO, it'll improve some through 3 months, but after that it starts to even off and if it ain't gone by 6 months it won't get any better a-settin' there.

Do NOT raise your pinkie while drinkin' it, please, and pardon me if this post is out of line. I have a bottle open NOW!

:dg:dg:dg

That reminds me, I only have 20 cans of frozen concentrate left in the freezer! Time to stock up!

Last edited:
Can you recommend a particular style of stemware to serve a December vintage in? :)

OMG, I am sipping a Welch's bottled in December right now (out of GLASSWARE, Twintrades! :D) and it is very very good! I must make sure I forget it is 15% ABV.

Er, I mean that I don't forget...

Wait! What was it I was not supposed to forget? :d
:)

Hah you're the man Jim!! How do you get your hands on so many cans of concentrate at once?? I'd love to buy in bulk but I can't seem to find anywhere with good bulk deals..

Hah you're the man Jim!! How do you get your hands on so many cans of concentrate at once?? I'd love to buy in bulk but I can't seem to find anywhere with good bulk deals..

There are ZERO "deals" here. I just buy it at the Wal-Mart that has it cheapest. I buy a dozen here, 10 there, and keep it stockpiled. My next batch is cleared well, and I will probably bottle it next weekend.

7.5 gallons of joy!

:h

Aw thought you had some sort of trick up your sleve like a connect with welches or something.. Oh well guess i'll keep bargan hunting at the local grocery stores..

Latest posts

Back