How do you inhance aroma in Muscadine wines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormanfarm

Reaction score
That may be a stupid question but I spoke with a wine store owner today who said that he had helped judge a Muscadine wine competition recently and that most of the muscadine wine he judged was real short on aroma. He stated that letting the muscadine wine ferment at lower temps ( he mentioned in the 60 degree range) would add positively to the aroma of the wine. He stated that faster ferments at higher temps would create a wine that lacked aroma. Would some of you experienced wine makers comment on this? I want to make the very best wines that I can produce. However, I have been fermenting them around 73 degrees F.

White wines should be fermented at lower temperatures, between 45°and 60°F (7-15°C).to preserve volatile aromatics, keep volatile acidity low, and produce a full mouth feel.

And from Winemaker magazine:
The type of wine you are producing will direct what temperature range is optimum. White wines are generally fermented under cool (not cold) conditions, while red wines can be fermented a little warmer. For a fruity, white wine, cooler temperatures — 40° to 70° F — allow for the retention of highly volatile aroma components. A rapid, warm fermentation will create a draft of carbon dioxide rising from the must, taking fruity esters with it. However, red wines stand up much better to elevated temperatures (50° to 80° F), and extraction of color and tannins may actually be enhanced by it.

I hope that this helps.

Aroma and the process

AROMA CAN BE AFFECT BY A LOT OF ENTITIES IN THE WINE MAKING PROCESS.

:u FIRST,THE QUALITY OF THE RAW PRODUCT THIS DOES IT HAVE THE BODY TO GO THROUGH A GOOD FERMENTATION PROCESS,THE WRONG YEAST CAN CAUSE THE WINE TO GO (HOT) AND OVER POWER THE TASTE .:ts

:ts SECONDLY,OXYGEN THE IMPROPER HANDLING OF THE WINE IN THE WINE MAKING PROCESSCAN CAUSE THE WINE ETHANOL'S TO TAKE OVER AND THE FLAVOR IS LOST.:ts

:ftYOU SHOULD TAKE THE TIME TO READ (WHEN GOOD WINES GONE BAD) ON THIS FORUM THERE ARE EXAMPLES OF WINE DEFECTS AND FAULTS,EASY READING .......................:r

Back