How can I stop fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csturben

Junior
Reaction score
I started the latest batch of "mixed berry" on 1-5-12. I added Montrachet on 1-6, 1.036 sg @ 74•. I racked into a secondary on 1-15, 0.990 sg @ 72•. I have tasted it and I like it the way it is but I am unsure if I add potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite (as I've done with kits) or campden tabs and something else? This is not a kit therefore I'm unsure how to stop fermentation early? Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge.

That's what I've always done. Sorbate will stop the fermentation and it could probably use sulfite it this time too.

If the gravity is .990 then it's done or almost finished. Rack it leaving sediment behind. Add 1/4 teaspoon pot. meta for 5 gallons and 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of pot. sorbate. If you wish add a fining agent at this time. Let it clear 4-6 weeks and rack again.

Stopping a ferm. midstream is hard however you can back sweeten to your liking.

Did you start ferm. at 1.036. Awfully low ABV

If it's at .990 sg it's probably done fermenting. I would go ahead and add the potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite.

at .990 it is done fermenting, it cannot go any lower, well you cannot measure it if it does because that is the lowest reading on a hydrometer. Are you saying .990 or do you mean .999?

If your SG's are correct, your final ABV is only going to be 6.1% :slp

Sorry,the beginning sg was 1.136 (my hydrometer goes from 1.160 down to 0.982). It is definately not done fermenting. The airlock is bubbling about 3 per minute. I put some in a bottle uncorked in the fridge and chilled it. It tastes much better cold and is stronger than I had anticipated but really good!

Now, your talkin' Rocket Fuel. Your ABV is now at 19.4%.

You may have some other things going on there. I wonder if your hydrometer is not accurate. If you really started at 1.136 and you used Montrachet, it should have quit fermenting well before .990. Red Star claims that Montrachet has a low alcohol tolerance (about 13%). So if you started at 1.136, you should have gotten a stuck ferment at around the 1.040 area. Now if your batch was contaminated by another yeast strain, maybe it would have taken over and fermented lower.

I would be curious to know where you got a hydrometer that goes down to .982. I can't find one that goes any lower than .990

I got my hydrometer from Slater's hardware in lancaster where I bought my kit. It has 4 dashes above the .990 marking. There could be something else going on and I double checked it a few hours ago and it's at .988 (the mark just above .990) and it's still going... I used the Montrachet because I thought the abv would kill the yeast and so far it hasn't happened yet. It is a very potent wine percentage wise. I believe my hydrometer is correct because it's been spot on when I've done my other boxed icewine kits. When I get back home I'll write in detail everything I've done so far. Thanks again for all of your help.

csturben, before you take your hydrometer reading tonight heat up your sample in the microwave first. Don't get it too hot, just a bit more then warm. Then give it a good stir. This will ensure your sample is completely degassed giving your a truer sg reading.

I got my hydrometer from Slater's hardware in lancaster where I bought my kit. It has 4 dashes above the .990 marking. There could be something else going on and I double checked it a few hours ago and it's at .988 (the mark just above .990) and it's still going... I used the Montrachet because I thought the abv would kill the yeast and so far it hasn't happened yet. It is a very potent wine percentage wise. I believe my hydrometer is correct because it's been spot on when I've done my other boxed icewine kits. When I get back home I'll write in detail everything I've done so far. Thanks again for all of your help.

LOL!!! That's your problem! You got it from Slater's. It's probably 50 years old!! :) :) :)

You hit the nail on the head Flem lol. It was actually new and not NOS. Shriver's in New Lex and Zanesville sell the same one. I just got home and will add more info tomorrow. Runningwolf-I've never thought of heating it up a bit. I will definitely do that tomorrow before I post the other info.

Ok, so I finally had some time tonight. My hydrometer is an alla France beer and wine hydrometer and according to the table it actually goes down to 0.980. I started it on 1-5-12 with 24 oz of fresh rasberries and 40 oz of frozen strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. 4.5 gallons of water, 4 lbs of sugar, 2 tsp acid blend, 2 tsp pectic, 4 tsp nutrient. On 1-6 I added one packet of Montrachet. 1.065 sg @ 72•. On 1-8 I removed the fruit and added sugar to bring sg to 1.136 @ 74•. On 1-15 the sg was .990 @ 70•. On 1-20 I racked and added 2 lbs of sugar to back sweeten and stirred. On 1-21 added four raspberry lemonade concentrates, .5 tsp calcium carb and .5 tsp sodium metabisulphite. On 1-28 I racked half into another carboy to sweeten again with sugar. 1-30 again more sugar and yesterday I added 2 tsp potassium sorbate and .25 tsp sodium metabisulphite and stirred. I do not have sg readings from 1-21 to yesterday. Yesterday it was .992 @ 74•. I warmed up my sample tonight and it's at 1.012?!? I am pretty sure that I know how to read it but would a higher temp result in such a higher reading? I previously added sugar and concentrates only when I did not see the airlock working for a few days? Perhaps I'll just have to be patient and wait this one out while my icewine is finishing up. Any help is appreciated.

wow, I am not sure what you really have, this is what you should have done, add the fruit, pectic enzyme, nutrient, acid blend if needed, k-meta and sugar but only enough sugar to bring you sg to 1.080 or close to that, wait 24 hours and add your yeast. That is it! you leave that ferment till done, rack and add k-meta and sorbate if you are going to backsweeten, then add your sugar to sweeten your wine.

Why in the world did you keep adding sugar? Since you kept adding sugar, before adding the sorbate, you kept re-fermenting your wine. Have you tasted this? It has got to be high in alcohol.

Thanks Julie! Have it tasted it? Of course I have lol. I keep filling up a glass and chilling it in the fridge :) I kept adding sugar when I thought it was done to adjust it to my liking. It is high in alcohol but it's not overpowering and you can still taste the favors seperately. I don't think it's any stronger than a good icewine but the few people who've tried it feel pretty good after a glass or two. Can I ask why the sg should be around 1.080 at the start?

Cuz, fruit wines taste best between 10% - 12% ABV. When you go higher than that you lose come of the characteristics of the fruit.

Thanks!! I have blackberries that I'm going to use soon on another batch :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back