How bad did I screw it up?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJPelletier

Reaction score
Okay, so I thought I did enough reading before trying to start my first batch of wine. I bought some used equipment, which I believe I sanitized properly. (10Gal bucket with lid for primary, Standard plastic carboy with airlock, hydrometer, and thermometer)

I used 4 cans of Welches white grape concentrate, and added a 2kg bag of dextrose I already had in my cupboard. I added some normal sugar as well, but less than 1kg. I added 1/2 tsp Potassium bisulphite... then stirred everything up.

It didn't sit for long before I added my rehydrated wine yeast (Lalvin EC 1118). That was now 24 hrs ago, and there is no crazy bubbling like I understood was supposed to happen. I have stirred it a couple times since, and there are a few bubbles that come up when stirred... but other than that, no visible activity.

So... I have read that there are a few possible reasons for the lack of fermentation activity. It could be that I didn't wait long enough to add the yeast after adding potassium bisulphite to my must. It could be a lack of acid. It could be a lack of sugar.

Anyone believe I can fix this and get it going? Should I add some tartaric acid? Or maybe some more sugar mix? Or did I just mess up the yeast altogether? Any suggestions, please? :)

I do have a couple of questions. Was the juice concentrate 100% pure with no persatives? If it had any kind of sorbate in it, it will not ferment. If it was OK the next question i would ask is how fresh is your yeast? Has it been stored in a cool dry place? I would also wonder how big of a batch are you trying to make? With only 4 cans of juice it probably should not be very big. What was you starting tempreture and SG. Those questions will hep us to help you.

I do have a couple of questions. Was the juice concentrate 100% pure with no persatives? If it had any kind of sorbate in it, it will not ferment. If it was OK the next question i would ask is how fresh is your yeast? Has it been stored in a cool dry place? I would also wonder how big of a batch are you trying to make? With only 4 cans of juice it probably should not be very big. What was you starting tempreture and SG. Those questions will hep us to help you.

Well, when I bought the juice, I thought it said 100% juice... now I am looking at the can again and it says real fruit beverage... so I'm not 100% sure. There is "ascorbic acid" in the ingredients... is that a type of sorbate that will prevent it from fermenting?

The yeast, I bought from a wine supply store a few days before use, so I think it was good.

The batch is a total of 5 gallons, according to the measurement on the bucket.

I do not have a starting temp, but estimate it at 65-70 degrees. As for the SG, the test tube from the first sample (after mixing in the 2kg of dextrose) gave a reading of 1040... I then added all the plain white sugar I had in the cupboard, which was not very much (less than 1kg)... so I think the amount of sugar overall is low.

When it says beverage it may be only 10%. Look on the back label. I bet it says 10% or "cocktail". Not gonna have a great flavor. Also, bump up the gravity to 1.085

Well, when I bought the juice, I thought it said 100% juice... now I am looking at the can again and it says real fruit beverage... so I'm not 100% sure. There is "ascorbic acid" in the ingredients... is that a type of sorbate that will prevent it from fermenting?

The yeast, I bought from a wine supply store a few days before use, so I think it was good.

The batch is a total of 5 gallons, according to the measurement on the bucket.

I do not have a starting temp, but estimate it at 65-70 degrees. As for the SG, the test tube from the first sample (after mixing in the 2kg of dextrose) gave a reading of 1040... I then added all the plain white sugar I had in the cupboard, which was not very much (less than 1kg)... so I think the amount of sugar overall is low.

I think your problem is the real fruit beverage. If it doesn't say 100% juice then is probably isn't. I also think you used way to little juice to make a good wine. If you are using 4 cans that would normally make 2 gallons of juice then you probably should only try to make 2 gallons of wine from it. It will not be a good wine if mixed with all that water. The Absorbic acid I am not sure about I don't think that would be a problem. What are the other indgrediants if you don't mind.

When it says beverage it may be only 10%. Look on the back label. I bet it says 10% or "cocktail". Not gonna have a great flavor. Also, bump up the gravity to 1.085

I've read the whole can several times now.... it doesn't say anywhere what percentage is juice, and it doesn't say cocktail anywhere. It is Welch's white grape real fruit beverage. The ingredients say: glucose-fructose, white grape juice, sugar, water, concentrated white grape juice, citric acid, sodium citrate, ascorbic acid, vitamin C, (contains sulfiting agents).

I think your problem is the real fruit beverage. If it doesn't say 100% juice then is probably isn't. I also think you used way to little juice to make a good wine. If you are using 4 cans that would normally make 2 gallons of juice then you probably should only try to make 2 gallons of wine from it. It will not be a good wine if mixed with all that water. The Absorbic acid I am not sure about I don't think that would be a problem. What are the other indgrediants if you don't mind.

The ingredients say: glucose-fructose, white grape juice, sugar, water, concentrated white grape juice, citric acid, sodium citrate, ascorbic acid, vitamin C, (contains sulfiting agents).

I guess it sounds like it's either the product I'm using, or the fact that I'm not using enough of it. I was sure Welch's would work though, because there is more than one recipe online that says to use Welch's. I even saw one with the exact concentrate that I used. There was nothing else to choose from for grape juice concentrate where I bought it... just the Welch's white or red grape juice.

It contains sulfits and you also added sulfites. It is going to have a tough time getting started. Sometimes I wish people would believe me when I say they are not needed at start of fermentation. They just make the yeast work harder and sometimes stress the sucks and make bad flavors. If you are using a canned juice you will never need sulfites. The only thing I use K-meta for these days is sterilizing and my wines turn out GREAT

BTW LJ I live right across the border so If you want help I can. lso The lady at cork and cap is great( over by 7 Oaks Mall)

one thing that might also help is when you add sugar is to dissolve it in juice or water at a ratio of two cups of sugar to one cup of water or juice this will give you a more accurate sg reading

There are a lot who make wine from the Welch's white grape concentrate, if you look in the recipe section you will find a recipe.

To make this wine you need at least 3 cans per gallon, 4 cans per gallon will give you a much better tasting wine.

Don't dump it. If it is way too thin, you can always add a little fruit juice of some kind when you are ready to drink it. You could blend it with another wine also. But let it go and I bet you can find a use for it. Arne.

I think I would be tempted to go and add 11-16 more cans of juice then check your sg and keep it around 1.085 -1.090 and then make a starter with some fresh yeast then add your juice a little at a time to the yeast until you have added all the juice to the yeast

Back