home made vacuum pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, being frugal and somewhat creative i built a vacuum pump from pvc , i used 2" for the cylinder and 1" check valves, 1.25" pvc shaft with a 1.25" rubber sleeve over it for the piston. It works great but, i'm afraid that after pumping out all the CO2 from over 60 gallons of wine my forearms and neck muscles will look like I'm a football player. I'm guessing that it takes about 60 lbs of force to move the piston up, it has about a 2' stroke, down is easy, the vacuum sucks it right down. I've used it on a 6 gallon carboy of Blackberry wine and am glad that after several days of pumping it finally looks like the bubbles I'm raising are slowing down. I only pump for a few seconds as it really is hard work. I think i've proved that it will work , now I'm going to save for a real vacuum pump. Anyone else try this?

If you had a smaller piston it would take less force to stroke it but the down side is you also would have to pump more often.
I've seen a design on how to make a vacuum pump using an old bicycle pump. I haven't tried to make this, I'm just throwing it out there for something to see. Here is the link. http://www.instructables.com/id/make-a-manual-vacuum-pump-for-under-$20-by-convert/
Just out of curiosity how long did it take to degas your carboy?

For 20.00 you could also buy a break bleeder at Harbor Freight. That was the first vacuum pump a lot of us started out with and then moved on. You definitely ended up with Popeye arms with it.

Back