Other Vacuum Degas: When is enough?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glLPMXq6yc0[/ame]

I'm not sure if this is the next video you are referring to, but in here he describes that what is 'boiling' is the release of the faster molecules. What it doesn't answer is whether oxygen is faster or slower than CO2 is. If it's CO2 then indeed we are releasing CO2 which is the whole point.

Where is Sour Grapes or ibglowin when you need a scientist :)

My original point is this -

AZMDTed photos in post 1 - only one is removing the CO2 and the rest are actually boiling the wine due to the size of the bubbles shown in the pics and he mentioned that he did it for approx 30 minutes at 29 in of vacuum

So if he did run a vacuum for approx 30 minutes and it was boiling - what was he boiling then ?

Let's change the question. Let's forget about the wars of whether vacuum degassing works. Let's assume that there is something wrong in my set up which isn't letting me achieve the vacuum my gauge is recording and thus I'm not pulling the pressure needed to get degassed in a couple minutes. What could be wrong with this set up:

Vacuum pump with one line out. Near the connection to the pump I have a ball valve. Six inches from there I tee off to a vacuum gauge. Then I go about a foot to a gallon jug. From the jug another line continues about four feet to the orange cap you see in the photo.

So, is the gauge not recording an accurate vacuum because it's too close to the the pump?
Could I have leaks at all the connections which is giving me less vacuum at the carboy than the gauge records?

If it's not that, then perhaps I just need to take my wine to upper 70s before trying any type of degassing.

I'm still thinking that being at an elevation of 120 feet near Baltimore may be affecting my ability too.

I don't want to create a holy war, I just want help degassing.

Thanks

I think that you would need to get down to something like .3psia to boil at room temp (the water that is). If STP is 14.7psia then you would need something like a 14.4psi vacuum. Not sure if you posted what you are pulling.

That's something like 400" h2O or 29"hg

Last edited:
I think that you would need to get down to something like .3psia to boil at room temp (the water that is). If STP is 14.7psia then you would need something like a 14.4psi vacuum. Not sure if you posted what you are pulling.

That's something like 400" h20!

Thank you,

Using the ball valve I kept the vacuum gauge at 25 inches for the first 20 minutes, then 29 for the last 10. But that's only accurate if my gauge was. What is STP and how can I figure that out for where I am if I need to?

Keep it simple -

When you see small bubbles turn to larger ones - Stop ! Degassing is complete

Keep it simple -

When you see small bubbles turn to larger ones - Stop ! Degassing is complete

I wish it were that simple. The last photo where you see the foam was at the 30 minute point after I shook it. That was well after when they turned from small to big, but never to the gurgling boil type bubbles. So I'm still doing something wrong, or my conditions aren't right.

I have read that you should only put about 20inhg on a carboy(full carboy). Maybe try getting to upper 70s

I understand. My only truly effective degassing was with a wine whip for an hour and 20 minutes. That's what I'm trying to avoid having to do all the time :)

Yeah, that's why I was following this thread. Want to see how the HF pump does this for me!

To those that are whipping the crap out of their wine with drill mounted accessories, you're just oxidizing your wine. And to those that are pulling deep vacuums on their wine for more than a minute or so, you have no idea what you're pulling out of your wine along with the co2. Patience and time make quality wine. Let it sit and age, either in a barrel or carboy, it will sort itself out.

To those that are whipping the crap out of their wine with drill mounted accessories, you're just oxidizing your wine. And to those that are pulling deep vacuums on their wine for more than a minute or so, you have no idea what you're pulling out of your wine along with the co2. Patience and time make quality wine. Let it sit and age, either in a barrel or carboy, it will sort itself out.

To each their own but with the amount of co2 coming out of the wine I have absolutely no concern about any significant oxidation.

I was hoping that my questions were specific enough to vacuum degassing and wouldn't start a 'my other way is better than your way' debate. I tried many other ways and products, let's keep this to constructive posts on vacuum degassing.

I haven't tried yet over 75, that will be my next step. I have no idea about the change or if the placement in line is good. Tightening connections and raising the temp higher are the only remaining variables I can think of.

Latest posts

Back