Help with whites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matis

Junior
Reaction score
first time making whites

Sunday I crushed, added measured and recommended doses of sulfites, pressed and let settle over night, starting brix was a little low at about 20-20.5

Monday morning I added yeast,

by Tuesday morning, fermentation didn't start yet

warmed up garage to 75 degrees, and bingo, fermentation started

The fermentation is bubbling away with tiny bubbles on the surface of my loosely covered, 2/3 full car boy

I have not yet added yeast nutrient, I should get in today the Diammonium phosphate (I want to use pure DAP, without hulls)

HOWEVER, The aroma/odor has a slight sulfur smell, and it doesn't smell like my reds usually do.

My concern is the sulfur smell

what do ya'll think? Is the DAP the trick here?

Last edited:
Hi

if you have nutrient I would get it in the must right away. OK, I hear you want pure DAP, but you are risking the health of your wine. It could help to know the yeast you used. some are really needy, like Montrachet. But it's time to add nutrient no matter what yeast you used.

Pam in cinti

Agree with above and would also like to know the yeast used.

I would also recommend that you use some Fermax along with your DAP.

Dap is a source of nitrogen that is very easy for the yeast to obtain. Adding DAP is like putting the yeast into a feeding frenzy.

Fermax makes the yeast work a little harder for its nitrogen so it is a bit more self regulating.

I have found that a combination of the two works very well.

thanks all
I will add nutrient ASAP
I used Lallemand BA11

Lalvin BA11™: Secure yeast for white wine mouthfeel
BA11 was selected in 1997 near Estação Vitivinicola de Barraida in Portugal. It has excellent fermentation kinetics, even at low temperatures. It promotes clean aromatic characteristics and intensifies mouthfeel and lingering flavors in white wines. In relatively neutral white varieties, BA11 encourages the fresh fruit aromas of orange blossom, pineapple and apricot.

DAP is the answer at this point--get it in there now.

However, be sure you're not just smelling the meta that you have on the must. Very often, when we remove the lid on the fermentor just before setting brix and PH, you'll get a whiff of the meta in the must and that can smell similar to H2S.

Last edited:
Two things here...
1) 75 degrees is very hot to ferment a white at. I try to keep my whites closer to 55 during fermentation.
2) DAP is an inorganic nitrogen source and is actually used as an agricultural fertilizer. It's like feeding your yeast a Snickers bar. They burn it quickly and crash. Try using a more complete nutrient like Fermaid. It's more like feeding your yeast a well rounded meal instead of a candy bar. Fermaid contains a small dose of DAP and contains amino acids and vitamins as well. Hydrogen sulfide production has been linked to amino acid and pantothenic acid deficiencies (it's used to produce coenzyme A). High fermentation temperatures and high levels of suspended solids during fermentation can also increase the production of volatile sulfur compounds. However, if you haven't added any YAN to the must and DAP is all you have, something is better than nothing. Personally, I don't add pure DAP to my wines, ever.

Latest posts

Back