Mosti Mondiale Help needed... MM Lambrusco

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebraska-Wino

Junior
Reaction score
Hello...
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I'm new to this site... just joined a few weeks ago and am enjoying reading the posts very much!
smiley32.gif

I'm about to start my "Batch #51" and was looking for something unique and different and I also want to try my first MM product. With George’s sale on MM All Juice Pails, this is the time to try one! I was looking at the ALL JUICE Lambrusco. I haven't seen this one offered by other major manufacturers, just as fresh juice pails from Italy (available on the East Coast) or in lower-quality “can” concentrate. I've read the MM product description but still not sure what to expect with this one. Sounds like many of you have made this wine and I’m looking for some help from your experiences.

1) Can someone give me an expanded description of what this wine would be like? I remember back a VERY LONG time ago, when I used to drink Riunite (sp?) Lambrusco that was sweet and fizzy.
smiley36.gif
Tasted good back in those college days (especially with pizza) but nothing like what I'd like to make today. I now prefer mostly the heavy, oaked, reds but also enjoy some lighter reds for a change. I'm guessing that it will NOT be fizzy (if properly de-gassed), and be very fruity... yes? I understand that it is not oaked. Even though there is no F-Pack, the sweetness level is indicated as "1". What have you experienced as to the final sweetness on an s.g. scale? How does it get this “1” sweetness?
smiley5.gif
Based on the description as "easy drinking" should I assume that it will be a very light wine like a non-oaked Pinot Noir?

2) What's the best guess of its life expectancy? I never drink a wine till it's at least one year old (except for "progress"-checking 12oz bottles) so the 9 months minimum ageing is no problem. The description also states that it "peaks at 2 years" which is great. My real question is about how long can I expect it to last before it starts to go "downhill" (assuming an ideal cellaring environment)? Being a non-concentrate wine I would think it would be a longer lifer, but being an “easy drinking” wine (low tannin?, no oak, lower-acid?) it may tend to be a shorter lifer. Would 4 years be a reasonable guess?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

A votre santé !!
smiley31.gif

I'm answering for two reasons:

First welcome to the site. You'll find a some good advice and possibly some good friends here. This is a great forum with a bunch of people (Like Masta, George, Wade, PeterZ and PWP among others) who know how things work.

Second, I wikipediaed* (a new verb that I just made up) Lambrusco. Given that this is a MM All juice, I would suspect that you are not going to get a semi-sweet apology for a wine. With a 1 rating it is going to be off-dry, ii will not take the fur off your tongue or require a throat transplant afterwards. The link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambrusco

I imagine that it will will be pretty good after a minimum 1 year and you are likely to be enjoying up to about four years. Personally, I've never managed to keep a wine longer than about a year (
smiley9.gif
).

Check the SG when you start. I would anticipate it being around 1.080 - 1.085 if it is a low alcohol wine, perhaps even a little lower. You always have the option of voiding the warranty (yes these things usually come with a warranty) and adding sugar to manipulate the alcohol content.

* The verb Wikipedia. To wikipede something is to establish the definition of an unknown word by reference to a definition provided by a bunch of people who you don't know but ttust implicitly because "If it is on the web it must be true"

Latest posts

Back