Hello from Florida panhandle!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1butters

Junior
Reaction score
I am from a small town in northwest florida, and started making wine a couple years ago. So far I have made scuppernong and strawberry wine and I am about to start on a mead in the next couple of weeks. There's nothing better than savoring the taste of wine that was personally made (even with the off flavors of your first couple of tries, lol). My scuppernong wine (which was made autumn 2009) is just now starting to really blossom with flavor. Now I wish that I didn't put so much sugar to drown the off flavors out whenever I bottled it. The strawberry wine went much smoother though, and was bottled just before christmas this past year.

Does anybody have a good recipe for jelly palm fruit wine? I have a palm in my backyard and love the sweet tangy taste of the fruit. I thought about just throwing together a recipe (based off similar tasting fruit), but would like more of a guide to help me out.

I have never heard of jelly palm fruit can you give us an ideal of what type of fruit it taste like. You might also check out Jack Kellers web site for a recipe for this type of fruit one thing that I have learned from other though is that any recipe from Jack Keller is that her goes light on the fruit and you should add more fruit if you follow one of his recipes

Welcome to the obsession butters. Sorry, cant help you with Palm wine from here in Ct.

It's hard to explain but kind of like a nectarine with some citric flavor(when very ripe it can even have a bit of a plum flavor to it). I know that it wouldn't require any acid blend, because of the citric acid that is already in it. It would be nice to have a little guidance on the amount of actual fruit to use, everything else could be figured based on this. The high acid levels would trouble the fermentation if I added too much fruit. I checked out Jack Keller's website, but didn't see a recipe. It will be a very good recipe guide for the future though, and I appreciate you mentioning that.

You said it has a nectarine flavor to a plum flavor I think what I would do is look in our recipe section of our forum for a orange recipe and a plum recipe and maybe combined the two and come up with a recipe of your own what ever you do keep us post with everything that you do tell us the recipe you put together

Hi 1butters,

Welcomde to winemakingtalk. Rule of thumb is to use 5# of fruit per gallon, more or less depending on the fruit. Start by making a one gallon batch and adjust if need be.

It's hard to explain but kind of like a nectarine with some citric flavor(when very ripe it can even have a bit of a plum flavor to it). I know that it wouldn't require any acid blend, because of the citric acid that is already in it. It would be nice to have a little guidance on the amount of actual fruit to use, everything else could be figured based on this. The high acid levels would trouble the fermentation if I added too much fruit. I checked out Jack Keller's website, but didn't see a recipe. It will be a very good recipe guide for the future though, and I appreciate you mentioning that.

Welcome! Wow that sounds really good.

Welcome to the wine forum and hooray, another recipe to try. If you not sure pick something that sounds close, place it on here and we can help you with some of the little extras and maybe do jus 1 gallon at first. Many of us start off with around a gallon before diving in with a full blown larger batch.

Anyway again welcome aboard.

Hi 1butters,

Welcomde to winemakingtalk. Rule of thumb is to use 5# of fruit per gallon, more or less depending on the fruit. Start by making a one gallon batch and adjust if need be.
Agree, BUTT, save some for a f-pac

Here ya go!

Guapo Topic: Jelly Palm Wine
Posted: January 01 2010 at 10:26pm

Newbie here. I can't seem to find a recipe for Jelly Palm Wine. There are lots of "Jelly" recipe's online, but none for wine. So, I decided to wing it. Last fall I picked some fruits from my palm tree. I would welcome any comments about what I should do, shouldn't have done, etc with this recipe. Thanks In Advance Here's what I did:

Clark's Jelly Palm Wine

for three gallons

Began 11/7/09

9 1/4 lbs. Jelly Palm Fruit, picked, washed, frozen, thawed and crushed (sqashed with hands in gallon ziplock bags) and added to mesh bag.

Water to 3 gal. mark
3 crushed campden tablets
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
3 tsp nutrient
3/4 tsp tannin (grape)
1 tsp yeast energizer
13 1/2 cups sugar (brought S.G. to 1.80
3 tbsp Acid Blend (brought to .65) Your's may be different

11/8/09 tossed 1 pkg Lalvin 71B-1122

11/11/09 No fermentation
added energizer and nutrient and tossed Cote des Blancs
and whoa Nelly! Began an active fermentation.

11/13/09 Sg @ 1.45 in AM, and at 1.25 in PM. Racked (thru filter funnel) to carboy
Lots of junk to clear. Lees, pectin

12/23/09 Racked and added some Sparkaloid as there was so much stuff
clouding the wine. Looked like a very pulpy orange juice.

12/27/09 Degassed and added a tad more sparkaloid. Nearly clear now.
Putrid smell emanating from carboy during racking.

1/1/10 Very clear, smell is almost gone. Real aroma of fruit beginning.
Pretty clear color, Golden Orange.

***** Update****03/13/2011

This wine is remarkable (IMHO) It does need to age in bottle a full year. A clear white wine with fruity body. Serve chilled.

The roundest knight at King Arthurs Round Table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.

Last edited:
Discovered there is a Jelly Palm next door to me. I will be trying three gallons of that this fall. Sounds good. Loren

Latest posts

Back