Hello everyone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustangzrule

Junior
Reaction score
I have been making my own wine for 6 years and just now am getting into the "community". I look forward to learning and sharing with the members because I really enjoy making wine - almost as much as drinking and sharing it.

First batch was Concord grapes growing wild on my north fence. Turned out amazing and a bit strong (16%) because I was unaware of the power of specialized yeasts.

I have made strawberry and blueberry this year while waiting for the Zinfandel grapes on my south fence to ripen.

I have made wine from the grocery store grapes (terrible idea) that I basically use to get my already drunk guests drunker. It has light and lacking palate and bouquet not to mention color.

I prefer to make reds or darker wines as I like the idea of antioxidants. I also avoid sulfite use as it makes my stomach knot up. I sterilize equipment with sulfite, but never sterilize the must. I use potassium sorbate to stabilize.

You know you can not stabilize with just using sorbate. Sorbate stops the yeast from multipling but k-meta or camdem tablets kills the yeast. The amount of sulfites you are adding to your wine should not bother you.

Are you sure it is sulfites that bother your stomach? If you can eat dried fruits without a problem I would doubt it is sulfites. Fruits have many times more sulfites on them then wine.

I can't eat dried fruits either. They mess me up. My grandmother was allergic to sulfa drugs back in the day and I think I inherited that from her.

When I stabilize, I let my must ferment till dry, typically waiting 6 months while racking every couple. I add the sorbate after the second rack and allow 2 months before bottling.

So far i have not had a cork pop. I guess I am still green at this but as long as I take my time and not rush things I hope I stay ok. My sweet wines that I add sugar to later have not restarted and I have made 3 batches. Maybe one day I will come home to a huge mess but I learn the hard way sometimes.

I love my wine and if I have to drink only drys, I am ok with that too.

My husband has a sulfer allergy and he really can't drink a lot of commercial wines but does not have a problem with ours. This is another reason why I do not sanitize with sulfer but with Idophor. You can test your sulfer levels to make sure you stay at the minnimum. The only reason I would urge you to use at least a small amount is to preserve your wine.

Latest posts

Back