Hello from Kansas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmayaRaito

Junior
Reaction score
Hi! I am located in Kansas,US. I enjoy drinking wine and my boyfriend and I have enjoyed making homemade wine.My partner has made more than I have but we plan to make more in the future together. We are going to be starting peach wine this weekend. We look forward to testing and playing around with different combinations of fruits and sugar in the future. I am excited to be apart of the this community!

Last edited:
Welcome to WMT!

I made a peach wine last year and it's ready to be backsweetened. I am thinking of using nectar from this year's peaches to do so, instead of using simple syrup, although I don't know if it will clear again. Taste is more important than appearance for this one! Good luck with yours!

Welcome to WMT!

I made a peach wine last year and it's ready to be backsweetened. I am thinking of using nectar from this year's peaches to do so, instead of using simple syrup, although I don't know if it will clear again. Taste is more important than appearance for this one! Good luck with yours!
I'm curious how you would make a nectar.
I'm entertaining the idea of making flavored simple syrups to hopefully boost flavor and the clearing issue crossed mind. With spices it probably wouldn't matter but with fresh fruit - essentially making jam - I could see it being problematic.

@BigDaveK I was pondering just crushing some frozen peaches and draining the nectar, but your question made me realize I was basing this plan upon a favorite winemaker of mine telling me when he makes black raspberry wine from concentrate, he reserves about 10% of the concentrate and adds it back after fermentation for sweetening.

But the nectar (+ a boatload of pectic enzyme) wouldn't be a concentrate, so now I am not sure at all. I was contemplating how to bench test without wasting too many of my frozen peaches. They are peeled and I added Fruit Fresh which does add a bit of citrus acid flavor.

It's also possible, although unlikely, that we will like the wine dry.

I probably need to seek out the fpack threads. If I made a flavored simple syrup, I think I would make the syrup first, then after it cools add some nectar (liquid only, so at least strained through cheesecloth). Then bench test. Then I will stir in a dose or two of pectic enzyme along with kmeta and let it sit for a couple weeks at least before bottling. This wine has had nothing but kmeta since fermentation - no clearing agents and no sorbate. It's aged a year, so it *should* be fine, but as Bryan (WM81) found out, there's always the possibility that some of the yeastie beasties either are long term survivors or sneaky at jumping from one batch to another in the winemaking area.

@Jovimaple I'm rather excited about this experiment!

The peach simple syrup was interesting but there sure is a lot of water, and the peaches will add water as well. I think it would be fantastic as a flavored sweetener for a glass of something, but for wine I'm not so sure.

My thought was to break down fruit over low heat, add sugar, water as needed, staying close to the 2:1 sugar/water ratio. Maybe even 3:1 or 4:1! And for spices, strong tea and keeping the heavy syrup ratio in mind.

It goes without saying that I plan to avoid any kind of commercial flavored syrup. My choice.

@Jovimaple I'm rather excited about this experiment!

The peach simple syrup was interesting but there sure is a lot of water, and the peaches will add water as well. I think it would be fantastic as a flavored sweetener for a glass of something, but for wine I'm not so sure.

My thought was to break down fruit over low heat, add sugar, water as needed, staying close to the 2:1 sugar/water ratio. Maybe even 3:1 or 4:1! And for spices, strong tea and keeping the heavy syrup ratio in mind.

It goes without saying that I plan to avoid any kind of commercial flavored syrup. My choice.
I don't understand why the recipe has so little sugar, unless they are trying to compensate for the sugar in the peaches. In the blog post (which I did not link), they talk about 2:1 ratio.

I am planning to do the same as you, but for this batch, no spices. Good luck and happy syruping! 😁

Latest posts

Back