Other Head space in Carboy - solutions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flapbreaker

Junior
Reaction score
So I've made two port wine kits so far but seem to have some challenges with too much headspace in the carboy. One kit didn't want the F pack added until bottling which really leaves the 3 gallon carboy with a lot of air in it even with a full liter of brandy added. I was wondering if it's acceptable to flood the carboy with CO2 and then put the airlock on. Would this prevent oxidizing? I'm not bulk aging the kits, just following the kit directions.

I have a Spagnols Orange Chocolate Port going now and have been wondering the same thing. I started it in a 5 gallon bucket but didn't have an airlock for the lid and started to worry (directions say leave it in primary 10-14 days or until SG is below 1.000). After 7 days (SG about 1.006) I moved it to a 5 gallon carboy so I could get an air lock on it. I'm still getting a bubble every minute or so, so I assume there's still a blanket of CO2 in there. I should be stabilizing, degassing and adding the finishing blend this weekend and will move to a 3 gallon carboy. In the event that there is still headspace, what would you use to top up something like this?

I topped up my Apple Tatin Port with water (which I later learned is not the 'ideal' way), but it turned out beautifully, not watered down tasting at all.

I have a Spagnols Orange Chocolate Port going now and have been wondering the same thing. I started it in a 5 gallon bucket but didn't have an airlock for the lid and started to worry (directions say leave it in primary 10-14 days or until SG is below 1.000). After 7 days (SG about 1.006) I moved it to a 5 gallon carboy so I could get an air lock on it. I'm still getting a bubble every minute or so, so I assume there's still a blanket of CO2 in there. I should be stabilizing, degassing and adding the finishing blend this weekend and will move to a 3 gallon carboy. In the event that there is still headspace, what would you use to top up something like this?

If the directions still say to add the F pack (It did for the orange port kit) then you could top your 3 gallon carboy off with brandy since most ports are fortified One liter worked for me. The Coffee port had an addendum to the instructions to not add the F pack until you rack and bottle so this made it impossible to top the carboy off even with Brandy. I've heard of some people using marbles to displace the volume of air.

Latest posts

Back