Has anyone tried this "super smoother" pack before???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pightr

Reaction score
I just found this by randomly looking around for stuff on midwest supplies website. It is called "Super Smooth" and here is the description of what it does:
Product Description
Super Smoother is a two-pouch system that contains 15 ml of glycerin and 15 ml of Sinatin 17 to smooth the taste of young or harsh wines, and reduces aging time for homemade wines. One pouch is sufficient for 6 gallons.

Just curious if anyone has actually tried a product like this seeing how it is pretty inexpensive and seems like it could help a lot of people looking for a better young drinking wine. Thanks for the info in advance.

I will let you be the experiment. I dont have any wine I will be willing to waste on the test right now

That sounds similar to what the products - Biolees and Surlees do. They are supposed to smooth out the finished product. They are added after stabilizing and clearing.

To see how it will work with a particular wine, one can even put a pinch in an opened bottle of wine, stir it up and let it set for a few hours. Said to work wonders on a high acid wine, especially when no malo was done, but probably should have.

I have some Biolees, but have never tried it.

I've used it.
Used it on my "drink early" reds (cheaper kits) and was surprised at how drinkable my wine was. In one batch I had a bottle pulled out that didn't receive the Super Smoother and it was noticeably harsher and less drinkable. I gave the 2 glasses to my wife to try blind and she could easily tell (and preferred) the one with the Super Smoother.
For those looking for a quick drinking red I would definitely recommend and use it again myself. I have not tried it in my higher end kits that I am aging for at least 6 months but the retailer I bought it from says he puts it in all his kits.

Personally I think that there are better ways of adding oak, but I've heard that adding the liquid oak extracts like Sinatin 17 works very well.

I knew somebody who would add some of it to an open bottle that wasn't oaky enough for him. He was definitely an oak-head.

Some people add glycerine to their wine to give it "legs". I have heard that too much will add an off taste (Metallic?).

Steve

Latest posts

Back