has anyone tried this kit....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phador

Green
Reaction score
winexpert's island mist green apple Riesling? It sounds tasty :HB I'm guessing it will come with ec-1118 I was thinking of using d-47...any thoughts?

I added part of the fpack in the fermentation and bumped up the alcohol a little bit. This unlike peach is one of the kits you could do this to.

I'm just reading the instructions now...starting gravity 1.048-1.052?? I'm thinking of bumping up with sugar or as you said part of the f-pack....were you still able to get the notes of green apple when you only had SOME of the f-pak to add later on? I'm thinking of using d-47 as well....bad idea?

Why did you want to change the yeast? What different result are you expecting?

Given that the taste of this wine entirely comes from the Green Apple flavouring, I can't see using a different yeast providing any beneficial result.

PS...why did you post this exact question in two forums??? I hate it when I respond to the less active thread.

Steve

I have made this kit many times-- for myself and for others. We all enjoyed it. Now you have to take it for the kind of kit it is. It is not meant to be any high end big red kit.
I always put 2 pounds of corn sugar in prior to fermenting .I have seen on here of people putting up to 4 pounds in.
I follow the directions as stated.
Never had a complaint.
Joann

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Like Joann, I have made this kit many times (a dozen or more). It is one of my wife's favorates. I rarely drink it myself. I always add 2 pounds of sugar to the kit and save the f-pack for flavoring. That's the way she likes it. I haven't tried adding half the f-pack up front. My wife "requested" that I don't mess with her kits...much.

I realize it's a low end kit, but isn't the grape juice still Riesling? Hence I thought maybe the d-47 might add some benefit. I haven't made many kits, but is this stuff really ready to drink at 4-6 weeks?

I have made this kit and the peach apricot chardonnay kit. Both of these kits get great reviews from people who have tried them, but the chardonnay is generally peoples favorite, but a few people I know rave about the apple riesling. For the apple reisling I add 8 cups of sugar inverting it first in one gal of the water you add anyway. (i.e. heat on stove to just under boiling and simmer for 30 mins.). This boosts the starting SG to 1.070. I just started one of these yesterday.

In case you try it later, For the peach apricot Chardonnay kit, I add 5 cups of sugar and 1.333 cups honey to the water and invert that. You get about 1.066 SG doing this.

Phador-- I haven't tinkered with the yeast. I'm not one to mess with the kits. You won't go wrong with what is supplied. I do recommend adding sugar to raise ABV.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back