Harford Winery Fall 2016 Harvest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say enough good things about Harford! They pressed my Traminette and got way more juice than I would have by hand, so I ended up coming home with 12 gallons of Traminette juice and 12 gallons of Muscat Canelli juice in my Jeep. Very exciting!

I'll let them warm up overnight and will check the numbers tomorrow.

All of the best wines I've made so far have come from ingredients I've purchased from Harford. They get good stuff and stand behind it with great customer service. I don't mind the drive because the end results are well worth it. Just my three cents.

What yeast are you using on the Traminette? I was a little surprised to hear that Harford used Cotes de Blanc or D47 on all their whites.

I bought D47 for both the Muscat Canelli and the Traminette. That's interesting that Harford uses D47 and Cotes de Blanc. I like how their whites turn out, so that is a good sign. I would very much like to know how much they backsweeten their Traminette. That is the part about these two batches that I am still not sure of: how much to sweeten.

I bought D47 for both the Muscat Canelli and the Traminette. That's interesting that Harford uses D47 and Cotes de Blanc. I like how their whites turn out, so that is a good sign. I would very much like to know how much they backsweeten their Traminette. That is the part about these two batches that I am still not sure of: how much to sweeten.

Buy a bottle and test the SG, then you have a ballpark figure to shoot for.

@heatherd how's that Muscat Canelli going and you used D47?
I plan on getting a bucket by Saturday if my local place has any left and use QA23,
Did you recheck pH?

My pH meter is not working so I will have to troubleshoot that and post pH later. :(

I just had to order a new pH meter this week. Mine was a pHep 5, even after replacing the batteries, would show a lower pH if you squeezed the instrument firmly, verses holding it lightly (I'm really not kidding). So I figured it was time to try out another model since I was having problems getting repeatable results.

@geek I am still working through issues with my meter. I need to recalibrate because it is reading in the 14-15 range.

Yep, D47. I haven't used QA23 yet.

It's fermenting nicely, haven't taken a reading today.

Hope you can get a bucket! The juice smells amazing.

@geek I am still working through issues with my meter. I need to recalibrate because it is reading in the 14-15 range.

Yep, D47. I haven't used QA23 yet.

It's fermenting nicely, haven't taken a reading today.

Hope you can get a bucket! The juice smells amazing.

Amazing is the word I could just NOT hear [emoji4]
Now I am committed to getting a bucket although I was discarding the option since I got a lot going on [emoji47]
If I do then QA23 is #1 option for me.

@ceeaton I may have to bite the bullet and get a new meter. I am certain the pH is not 14.

My new one was delivered 12 minutes ago. (Cough, cough, sneeze, hiccup, fart) I don't feel too well, I think I need to call it a day and go home (and play with my new toy).

Wait, WHAT!!? I hope you're just talking about the Muscat Canelli.
Yes, just the Canelli (she said that in an earlier post).

Wife walked by the 6 gallon carboy of white zinfandel I am making from a Harford supplied juice bucket and commented that it looked awful dark for a white zin. So of course I came up with "oh, just looks that way because you are used to looking through a bottle which is much thinner than the carboy" bulls**t and discounted her comment like I usually do (kinda wonder how she puts up with me sometimes). So I finished my last beer and still was craving something, so I tipped the carboy in normal fashion and came up with a small amount in my glass.

I might have to steal a gallon of this and keep it dry. Still really carbonated at this point, but it has a really nice mouth feel and nice fruitiness (used GRE yeasties). I'd also have to say its a bit darker than your normal store bought white zin. When I think white zin I think light body and a pink(ish) colored wine.

10-6-16_white-zin.jpg

Latest posts

Back