Harford Winery Fall 2016 Harvest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buckets prepped. Trading wines packed. Car gassed up. I am ready. Just need to decide what to do with this H3 Cabernet in front of me. ;)

Buckets prepped. Trading wines packed. Car gassed up. I am ready. Just need to decide what to do with this H3 Cabernet in front of me. ;)

Clone it.

Thanks for the reminder, threw in a few things I promised to give to jgmann. Hitting the sack early tonight, stayed up and sampled a glass too much of the Dornfelder. Hitting a Yuengling traditional lager (my wife's favorite) so I'm wide awake and can drive Jim nuts when he drives down, and the other Jim nuts when we arrive.

I'm a bit jealous, you get to go for three trips to pick up grapes so your season lasts that much longer!
I stopped by my place, Prospero Grapes needed more air locks, as I'm waiting there are all these lugs of grapes, almonds and olives!!
Oh how I wanted to do another batch, but SWWBO was looming in back of my head. No friggin way.

Last edited:
Oh how I wanted to do another batch, but SWWBO was looming in back of my head. No friggin way.

My BIL just gave me the second installment on a boat I sold him (I have some swamp land too if anyone is interested), so I've got part of that in my pocket, which is dangerous. But just tonight I said something about extra buckets and she said something about a plum or elderberry fruit bucket, so I'm approved if I deem it necessary to pick something up, depending on what jg picks up that is extra, though he's got his first set of grapes, so he should be busy enough with that.

And, I have 110lbs of local Cab Franc grapes coming in a few weeks, which was already approved, so I'm going to have all the carboys filled by the middle of October, time to start bottling.

Got home from the short trip to Harford Vinyards with Craig and met up with BBJim and his dad. After a little jaw jacking, we set to business and loaded the PS grapes and a Chardonnay bucket into the mighty CRV and headed home.

Petite Sirah was about a 1.105 SG @ 58*. pH is 3.81 and TA is 5.3 g/L. Let it go or adjust pH down a little?

The chard is a bit cooler at 54* (I think, note is downstairs) and it came in at 1.094-ish.

We dropped the enzyme into the PS grapes and will visit and punch the grapes till later tonight when we'll drop the D254 and some nutrient.

Pictures to follow.

The chard on the other hand - dropped EC1118, oak and nutrient.... Now we wait till it warms up.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1474738605.392470.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1474738618.377780.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1474738632.735048.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1474738643.747777.jpg

Last edited:
Good meeting you, Jim. And good seeing you again, Craig.

Dad just left. We pressed the Zin and its tasting quite good. Got all the buckets o' grapes into the fermenters and added Lallzyme. Cab at 24.8 brix and Petite Sirah a little over 25. Just took very quick readings and will retest, along w/ testing pH tomorrow. Now off to my son's baseball game.

I had way more fun than you two did. Detoured to the local Giant for $68 of this and that, which is what my wife texted me throughout the morning. Got home, did a few quickie wine tests, then headed for more beer and gas for the tractor (beer for me, gas for the tractor). Then got home to find out from my wife we had no phone service, but we had internet. So the kids got upset when I rebooted the router. They pummel my high speed (yea, right) DSL with videos and games and wonder why things need rebooted. Final got a call through from my cell phone, rebooted the phones, then all is well. Now I get to go do the hay field for an hour, stop and do dinner for my wife and daughter, start the lawn up again, then stop and make dinner (burgers and dogs on charcoal) for the rest of us.

I think standing around thinking about what I need to do and enjoying a Yuengling Traditional Lager or two and listening to whatever college game is on ESPN radio sounds like much more fun... If I wait long enough, we'll get a frost and I don't have to worry about the lawn, as long as the association doesn't notice.

Edit: Had some internet issues for a few hours. My younger brother came over and we redid the inside connections, did get the internet up but still have lots of noise on the line. Will test at the house termination point outside tomorrow and see if it is as noisy out there. Guessing Verizon did something when they hooked my new neighbor's service up across the street, since the line has been fine for the last 23 years.

Last edited:
Looks like the rest of the grapes are in. I notice they have three extra red zin buckets, wonder if I should run down and get one, then add the skins I just froze from the all grape batch....hmmmm. Be a nice way to compare a juice bucket with an all grape batch.

Estimating I'll be there around 12:30 Friday. One extra Viognier bucket. I'm praying its gone by the time I get there. :D

I am picking up my Muscat Canelli and Traminette on Sunday. [emoji1]

They ordered a barrel of Muscat Canelli because of supplier issues, and that will be a one time only thing.

Latest posts

Back