hair in the mix

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JS-Sapphire

Reaction score
Hi all. So i find myself with a bit of a problem, i've been waiting on a batch of mead that i started as my first brewing project and i just now noticed a singular dogs hair floating at the surface of the batch. this is concerning for me seeing as its the fourth month of its fermentation and i just now noticed the hair. while i avoid laughing at the "hair o' the dog" reference that could be made, im wondering if that could have screwed up the entire mead making process.:slp

You're fine. Just get it out while it is still floating on the surface.

As Stressbaby posted, you are fine but I'm thinking you need to come up with a catchy name for the mead :)

you have all ready consumed some pet hair if you have pets in the house..U just didnt know it....
Remove the hair....and you will be fine...
how did it get there anyhow

haha, i honestly have no clue how it got there, its possible it clung to any article of my clothing until it jumped ship while the carboy was open XD. and to be honest, i'm still not quite sure how i'll go about getting the hair out short of straining and re racking the entire thing

You will get it out one of these days. Your wines are actually pretty forgiving. If one pet hair ruined a wine, I probably would never have had one that is drinkable. A bit of hair will not :rn on your party. Arne.

thanks, everyone. that puts me a bit more at ease. now i just gotta see how long this puppy takes to finish. its month 4 but its still bubbling a bit :fsh

Bet it is just degassing. You can check it with your hydrometer, if done, manually degass and fine it to make it clear, or just do what you are doing and let time take care of it. That is how mine generally finish. Arne.

Back