Haha - whoops.........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexPKeaton

Reaction score
So I've got a country wine in a 1 gallon carboy - had the bung already in the neck of the carboy, was putting the airlock in the bung and, well, the bung went through the neck of the carboy and into the wine. So, I put some saran wrap with a small poked hole over the top of the carboy. Will be interesting trying to get the bung out tomorrow, haha.

Alex, it is not as hard as you think. I would get the wine out of the carboy and into something else by pouring it. The bung will float on the wine and stay in the bottle. Once the bottle is empty, stuff a rag like the size of a handkerchief partially into the bottle, invert the bottle so that the bung gets caught in the folds of the rag and pull the rag out. I have done this and it works like a charm.

So I've got a country wine in a 1 gallon carboy - had the bung already in the neck of the carboy, was putting the airlock in the bung and, well, the bung went through the neck of the carboy and into the wine. So, I put some saran wrap with a small poked hole over the top of the carboy. Will be interesting trying to get the bung out tomorrow, haha.

I took mine with a knife with no problem, empty the carboy first.

knife is iffy, and you would be cutting up the bung and possibly scratching up the glass like Rocky said a rag would work or I used a plastic grocery bag, twist the bag, put it in the bottle, then blow into it to get the bag to blow up, turn the bottle upside down and then pull the bag out, works like a charm, actually there is a Utube video on this.

Julie said:
knife is iffy, and you would be cutting up the bung and possibly scratching up the glass like Rocky said a rag would work or I used a plastic grocery bag, twist the bag, put it in the bottle, then blow into it to get the bag to blow up, turn the bottle upside down and then pull the bag out, works like a charm, actually there is a Utube video on this.

This is the way to go, you can get corks out of bottles with this trick

Lol, and I have on numerous occasions. You have no idea on how many times someone has asked me for a bottle of wine just for them to give me back the bottle with the cork in it, just because they didn't have a corkscrew!

I did the same thing a long time ago and since then always put the airlock in the bung before it goes in the jug/carboy.

I did the same thing a long time ago and since then always put the airlock in the bung before it goes in the jug/carboy.

This is what i do, and i actually have the airlock sticking out of the bottom of the bung, just barely - this makes it harder to get the bung into the carboy/jug, but its a better seal.. Sometimes i feel like im gonna rip the rubber trying to get the bungs out again :)

Latest posts

Back