H2s

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brix hit zero after 72 hours. Did I set a world record? Smell seems to be gone(for now), I punched the cap probably 30 times in 36 hours

The Forza kit I made over the summer went from 1.105 to 1.000 in 84 hours, and mine never exceeded 80*F, using RC212. So I imagine it may have been quicker at a higher temperature. So I don't know if that is normal or not, but if I saw that quick of a ferment after only making a few reds I'm thinking it is pretty normal.

Did you have a brew belt on this? That is a pretty high temp for that short of a time. Also, calm down I know this isn't your first batch you have made, you need to trust in your own knowledge. H2S is not something I would worry about during fermentation. There is do much odors that come out of a fermentation the last thing you should be doing is jumping to a conclusion before fermentation is complete.

Again James, this is not your first fermentation, you have been a member here for awhile and you do have a good knowledge of winemaking, you need to stop second guessing youself! You will do fine.

Yes and this was a Kit which already had plenty of yeast nutrients (pre) added and then you added another full 100% dose. Notice anything similar?

The Forza kit I made over the summer went from 1.105 to 1.000 in 84 hours, and mine never exceeded 80*F, using RC212. So I imagine it may have been quicker at a higher temperature. So I don't know if that is normal or not, but if I saw that quick of a ferment after only making a few reds I'm thinking it is pretty normal.

Really do not understand how you got to that point without some type of warming device helping.... Every year I use BM4X4 in at lear 2 or three of my 6 bins in fermentation.... Everyone of them responds the same every time... I pitch it at about 65 degrees must temp.... I add the first dose of fermaid-k 24 hours later.... Must temp about 72 degrees.... I keep the lid only half on the top of bin and the temp never goes over 78 degrees during all three nutrient additions.... This year I plan on trying to get the temp to 80 for better extraction.... Like everyone says you probably added heavy on the yeast and nutrients or heat... Only question now I would have if it was mine is what does the quality of wine like when made in 72 hours......

Last edited:
Really do not understand how you got to that point without some type of warming device helping.... Every year I use BM4X4 in at lear 2 or three of my 6 bins in fermentation.... Everyone of them responds the same every time... I pitch it at about 65 degrees must temp.... I add the first dose of fermaid-k 24 hours later.... Must temp about 72 degrees.... I keep the lid only half on the top of bin and the temp never goes over 78 degrees during all three nutrient additions.... This year I plan on trying to get the temp to 80 for better extraction.... Like everyone says you probably added heavy on the yeast and nutrients or heat... Only question now I would have if it was mine is what does the quality of wine like when made in 72 hours......

It's too bad. I have the same concerns. I used opti red and lallizyme ex so hopefully I got enough color extraction in the four days of fermentation and two days of cold soak prior. What do you think?

I typically run 450 lb. batches in a single tank, and at that size, it is not uncommon to have temperature control issues without some planning. The larger the must volume the greater the potential for a temperature spike. I usually see the spike on the third day after pitching the yeast, and I usually pitch at 55 or 60F. I'm not sure what temperature the grapes were when you crushed, but I suspect you didn't get 2 days of cold soak, the natural yeast population was probably expanding during this time and it took off as expected on the third day. With a batch of that size and no temperature control, you probably need a 15F cushion before going to bed, so the batch should be no higher than 70F if you want 85F or less in the morning, and even that is risky as much depends on the temperature of the room. I ferment in the uncontrolled garage, and I've had several batches over the years run into the 90's when we had some unusually warm fall weather where the garage temp was in the upper 70's. For this reason, I now have temperature control on a jacketed stainless kettle, and I have to be sure it is on and functioning before the peak hits on the third day. Batch size matters; alongside the tank I can have several smaller, maybe 15gal batches, fermenting in Brutes uncontrolled and have no temperature issues.

As far as extraction is concerned, I would say you should be fine based on the high temperature and the use of enzymes. Wine is funny, who knows, this could turn out to be the best batch you've ever made.

Back