growth habit help needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reisjdmd

Reaction score
i am not gettingclear answers from my reading. i am in the process of training our grapes. i had hoped to use the high cordon system and let the grapes hang down. however, depending on which source i read, some say the grapes grow up; some say down. french grapes up; american grapes down; american hybrids up/down depending on the book. it makes a difference as to the wire i use; the 3' or the 5'.
if i give a list of what i have planted, can someone tell me either from reading or experience, what i am to expect? i am leaving for the country today and can post the list on monday. any help will be greatly appreciated, because i am at my wits' end, and i do not want to screw this up.

If you list them I will try to help. Here is a chart from DoubleA Vineyards which describes the growth habit. Generally speaking the Americans are trailing habit and adapt to Top Wire Cordon or Cane training. The French-American and French are upright or semi-upright and can be cordon trained or Verticle Shoot Positioned. In general TWC takes wider row spacing because all the shoots droop down in between the rows and can cause shading. VSP keeps a narrow canopy so shading isn't such an issue.

http://www.rakgrape.com/pdf_files/DAV-VineChar-2006-07.pdfEdited by: appleman

Latest posts

Back