GROWING GRAPE CUTTINGS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
*Don't know if this is the place for this Post...maybe under Chit-Chat would have been better...BUT...here goes.

Took some twigs off of some grape plants in Oct...[That's late fall in the North] Potted into *community pots [*more than one plant per pot]in moist potting mix and let them sit under fluorescent lights covered with a plastic bags for about 2 months. Removed plastic bag a couple weeks ago when leaves were healthy and growing.

Time to 'pot-up' [a gardening term here]
2006-01-11_121134_Community_Pot.jpg

Here is a shot of the roots that had developed.
2006-01-11_121600_Rooted.jpg

This is an individual plant with new roots.
2006-01-11_121700_Individual_Plant.jpg

Cuttings in individual pots.
2006-01-11_121810_Potted.jpg

Plants in their new home.
2006-01-11_122357_New_Home.jpg

These are just 48" Cool White florescent bulbs. Keep your plants very close to the cool bulbs.

Living up North it will be a long time before these plants can get moved outdoors. You people who are lucky to live in the South can do this now, or at the first sight of buds on your grapes or Mescadines...you can do this too...you have nothing to loose and only more plants to gain.
Have fun!!!

NW,

Nice looking vines! What type of grapes will they produce? For the few months that they sat, were they constantly "wicking up" water as they sat...how was the watering process done? Thanks.

These cuttings were Frontenac and King of the North...they both are some of the hardiest wine grapes available and that will winter over in these parts. Also I did a few cuttings of Beta, they are hardy juice grape, for breakfast juice, like a Concord I have other grapes growing, juice grapes are producing and the wine grapes are new plantings and coming along good.
Yes, they sopped up water while they rooted. I watered from the bottom in a tray and kept them moist, but not soggy. In the summer I root various plant cuttings in a little greenhouse, those I keep water in the tray at all times because it gets so hot in the greenhouse.
It is such fun to watch things grow. Usually during the winter I root roses and shrubs, but am kind of over run with those, so tried the grapes this year....I like to have something growing during the winter, other than houseplants.....so root other stuff and start seeds.....just for grins, and for plants.
smiley4.gif

NW, good job.

Since you havea green thumb I have a question for you...

I have been offered some wine grapes, but in December (frozen) weather. Is it okay to cut off a part of them to start growing indoors when the outdoor plant is dormant? I

If so, should I submerse the whole shoot under dirt? or just water? Can you help me out... I've only ever worked on killing plants.
smiley11.gif

Thanks,
Ryan

Where do you live??? And how dormant are the plants. They say you can take cuttings in the winter...I took mine very late fall.
I cut mine in Oct and Nov, the Oct cuttings rooted better, so far. I cut them into lengths with 3 or 4 nodes, remove all tendrils and leaves [if any] dip the bottom node into rooting hormone powder [available at WalMart or any garden center] Stick them into a good potting soil mixed with equal parts of Perlite...[makes the soil more fluffy and lets more air get to the roots..also keep the soil moist but not soggy.] In the following article they let the cutting callus over, I have never done that, might have better luck if I did, but it's all free, all I can loose is my time...and I got nothing but time.
Read this article [sorry, not a usable URL, but you can highlight it, copy & paste to your browser]

http://www.bunchgrapes.com/cuttings.html

It is good info, this person is selling cuttings, but the info is good for those who can take their own. I see that Mescalines are best taken when green. If you don't have luck with cuttings now, then take some during the summer and try again.
Good Luck!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Also, I live in Utah. I see myself buying some hydroponics soon
smiley36.gif

If you start some cuttings be sure to keep them in bright light...out of direct sunlight, or under florescent tubes.
smiley4.gif

I have a 'full spectrum' desk lamp (super bright). I wonder if that would be sufficient since I don't have any florescentlights in my house.
2006-01-12_092325_lamp.jpg

Don't know.You could for sure grow a nice African Violet with full spectrum....Florescent grows green plants, not much for flowers tho....think having 2-48" bulbs would be best.
smiley4.gif

You can usually pick a "shoplight" up for under 20 bucks at most discount stores and they use two 48" bulbs.

If possible buy a fixture that has a metal shade on it. The shade will direct more light downward and onto the plants. Usually the less expensive fixtures don't have a shade, it is well worth the few extra dollars to get a bit better fixture for this cause.
Also, the further apart the bulbs are the more area you can put plants under, plus the light is more uniform.So if you have a choice, get the fixture where the bulbs are a bit further apart, or put 2 fixtures together and have a 4 bulb unit, more light intensity.
Have fun....
smiley2.gif

This is a great thread. Can you just cut off any part of a grape vine or do you have to cut at a certain place on the vine? Also I notice you say Grapes or Muscadines? Aren't Muscadines a grape or are they a fruit?

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurf, good question, thats exactly what I was going to ask. Can someone do a tutorial on taking cuttings to do this? I like to think of myself as having a green thumb when it comes to planting plants in the ground and raising them, but I have never had any luck with getting"Bark" type cuttings to grow roots, even on my Rasberry bushes which I thought would be real easy.

Hi Guys,
Here is a Site has has about all the info you will need.

http://www.bunchgrapes.com/cuttings.html

Sorry, not a usable URL, but copy and paste to your browser.

I don't know anything about Mucadines [living in Minnesota] I read on the above Site that they are a wild type grape and the cuttings are taken from green wood.
The above Site shows how to take the cuttings and treat them.I usually took cutting during the summer and tried the cuttings in the Photo-Tutorial taken in the fall, they rooted very well for me.
Any grape that is growing well in your area should root and grow for you.If you wish to try something new go to your U.S.Department of Agriculture Web Site for your State and go to the Agriculture Extension Site and 'Search' grapes, each state will have recommendations for your area.

Also, when your plants are growing well, or you or a friend has a healthy plant growing, then.....you can do a layering process.....
Layering is when you bury a healthy vine near the mother plant.Dig a shallow trench near the 'mother' plant.....You lay a portion of the vine with some of the nodes where leaves and tendrils are growing....remove the leaves and tendrils, bury that portion of the vine a few inches below the soil, [leave the growing end out of the trench] Cover the vine in the trench with loose soil, cover with a mulch of lawn clippings or other mulch, place a stone on top of the buried vine to mark it and to make sure that portion of the wine stays below the soil, keep moist....by fall the portion of the vine that is buried will have rooted.The following spring sever the vine close to the 'mother' plant and let the 'cutting'...new plant.... grow for awhile, then dig it up and plant in a newly prepared site.[Did this make sense???] Or Google Search...plant propagation...layering.
Good luck in your ventures...hope you get a new vineyard growing....for free!!!
smiley4.gif

Here are the little 'transplants' only 12 days after being put into the individual pots of potting mix....they are growing like crazy.
You will notice that the green leaves are touching the fluorescent bulbs, this is fine. The closer your plants are to the bulb the more 'candle-power' they are soaking up...so, put your plants close to the fixture, these bulbs are not hot to the touch. The bulbs I use are.... 48"40wattcool whitebulbs. Great for growing green plants, not trying for flowers here.

2006-01-23_085425_Growing.jpg

This could become a problem for me....it will be about 90 days before I can put them out into my little greenhouse....[think they will take over my house and home]....
2006-01-23_090149_smiley_ponder.gif

SOLUTION...I will pinch back the growing tips, this will slow down the growth and stimulate the roots a bit more....The idea here is to grow roots at this point not a vine...
Hope everyone with any interest in growing some vines, at some point tries to grow some from cuttings or layering...it is very rewarding.Enjoy seeing green!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

NW, those look like some happy little fellows. Good job.

First let me start by saying you are my new idol. I'm all about growing your own grapes. I can't imagine being more fulfilled with starting something from the picking to the drinking... especially the drinking!
smiley36.gif

OK. Questions:
1. When you started were your vine cuttings dormant?

2. When they are covered by a plastic bag how often did you have to water them?

3. What temperature did you keep them at (when covered)?

4. is there a reason you chose 'white light' over full spectrum plant and aquarium bulbs (just convienice or doesn't really matter)?
(since I just spent $20 on just two bulbs
smiley19.gif
)

5. when you do a community pot, is it hard to separate them? I am worried if my kids ever grow they will be one big mess of roots and I will harm them trying to separate them...

6. When you move them outside do you plan to do anything special? I've read a little that they can't handle sunlight right away.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am completely un-experienced when it comes to this.

Back