Greetings from the Green Kalahari

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martiens

Junior
Reaction score
Hi guys... I stumbled onto this great forum while looking for a recipe for raisin wine... didn't find one (except one with rice), but I sure found a whole lot more than I was looking for!

A little about myself... I am VERY new to wine making in a sense... only started fermenting grapes 4 days ago. Oddly enough I have lived on a wine and brandy estate almost my entire life (minus a few years spent at uni etc.), but never really took an interest. Eventually got into the family business about 10 years ago and focused on the marketing of our ranges. Got interested in blending and infusions and ended up taking over our liqueur range.

Then I got into craft brewing in 2014 and have been loving it ever since. Got my hands on two bins of Hanepoot (Muscat d'Alexandre) raisins and after making a Hanepoot brandy infusion, still had loads left... I remembered a story about the rural South African churches producing their own communion wines during and after the Anglo-Boer wars and one guy in specific who used to air dry Hanepoot grapes on Ox skin and making their communion wine with the resulting 'raisins'. Before I knew it I had a bunch of raisins, sugar, water, pektolase and Champagne yeast in my primary and here I am...

I have all ready learned so much in only a couple of days on this forum and look forward to sharing my successes and failures with true enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Great attitude... willing to share both your successes and failures.

Welcome to the forum, Martiens. You certainly have an interesting background and I am very impressed with your command of English. I am guessing that English is not your first language. I assume that is Dutch.

Perhaps in the future you can tell us more about your liqueur business or perhaps give us a link to a website. I think that would be of interest to many of the members.

Latest posts

Back