Greetings from Saratoga Springs (26 deg in the shade this afternoon)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
A warm hello to everyone in this forum. I am relatively new to wine making although I have over the years made a few gallons (literally) of wheat, mixed berry, cranberry and orange wines. Last Thursday I pitched some champagne yeast into 5 gallons of apple cider (SG= 1.080) and last night the SG was a hair below 1.040, so still not ready for secondary fermentation.
I guess I have a newbie-type question. What do people use to sanitize testing equipment like hydrometers and basters (in lieu of a wine thief)? If I use campden tabs (pot metabisulphite) isn't there a possibility that the sulphides will come into contact with the must and kill yeast? Is boiling water enough to kill wild yeasts that may now be gorging themselves on trace elements from a previous test? Am I being too obsessive about sanitizing my equipment? Also, If I measure the SG "frequently" (say every couple of days) from this point until the SG reaches about 1.010 or thereabouts, is the best practice to toss away the contents of the test cylinder? Does anyone pour it back into the primary? I think that my cylinder takes about a quarter of a cup or more of the must

If you use k-meta to sanitize, there will not be enough of it on your tools to affect the wine. If you clean the tools really well after use, then give them a shot of k-meta solution, you should be ok. I just dump the wine sample back in unless it is far enough along to start tasting. Then it gets dumped in me. lol. In 5 gal. you can probably just stick your hydrometer in the primary to get a reading. Should have plenty of liquid to float it. Sanitize it and stick it in. Good luck with it and welcome to our little corner of the net. Arne.

Saragosa ... isn't that where there was longhorns ... or were they shorthorns ... oh, Saratoga ... nevermind.

Hi Bernard,
Welcome from the wild west!
Lots of great informed and friendly folks here, glad you made it.

@Arne, Thanks for your response. Is K-Meta the same as a Campden tablet? If it is, then is the dilution the same for sanitizing test equipment as I would use for sanitizing carboys and buckets (1 tab in one gallon) and if it is are you arguing that this won't affect the must because the quantity of K-meta that will be in contact with the must will be too small?

Yes, and it is in a powder form. I would have to look it up, but I think you use 3 tsp in a gal to make a sanatizer. And I would not be too concerned about the small amount you are going to transfer to your wine off your tools, etc. Arne.

It takes a lot more campden than a tablet in a gallon to sanitize things. That is the dose per gallon to help protect the wine, not sanitize things (which in itself is not the correct term but close enough). It would take about 10 tablets per gallon for that.

No the small amount of residue on the equipment will not kill the yeast. Don't obsess over sanitizing, just keep things clean. Get yourself a pound of potassium netabisulfite, put a tablespoon full of it in a gallon of water. Let it dissolve well then you can use that for cleaning and sanitizing. A spritz bottle makes it easy to apply it without using so much. Spritz and let it set for a few minutes to drain and the sulfites to do their thing.

Thanks to Arne and Grapeman - and a very happy new year to you and all members of this forum. As they say in Scotland - Lang may yer lum reek (Your fire should always burn - or more literally, your chimney should belch smoke)

Actually, most of us put 3 tablespoons per gallon of water for sanitizing. Good Luck!!

Latest posts

Back